X. the duality of man

apparently there's gonna be a protest in my town for the blm movement, thinking ab going

also! Ten chapters in already wow! and the title is memey but the chapter is heart hurty

AND you guys get a double update for being so cool! That and the fact that I'm already writing the next chapter so I don't accidentally stop writing
-

It had been a week since the split, having Dream around was both a blessing and a curse. On one hand, he was a huge help around the house, and he was just as fun to be around as Clay, George thought, head resting in Dream's lap as they watched a movie. On the other, George still had a difficult time telling who was who, and needed a way to tell a lot easier.

Nick suggested they make nametags, but Dream lost his in a matter of two days. So they settled on a little smiley-face necklace that Dream would wear.

George was honestly growing used to having two of his favorite person around. Granted it was a little odd at times, but when they figured out how to reverse the split George would miss Dream. He and Dream would do all the things he and Clay would do and more, Dream being less afraid to ask George on 'dates' than Clay was.

Whenever they would go out and see someone they knew, they played it off as if Dream was Clay, and then they'd laugh about it moments later.

Their movie ended a few hours ago at 11pm, George tossed and turned in his bed, hearing clicking and tapping noises from the office room next to him.

While he and Dream were growing closer, it seemed that George and Clay were drifting further apart. Clay was getting to be more distant and cold, trying to focus only on their situation at hand.

"Clay," George opened the door to Clay's office space, squinting at the light. "It's 4am you need to sleep."

"Just a little bit longer George, I think I might've got it." Clay furiously typed away at his keyboard, creating lines of code that would work with the split code to hopefully undo the split.

They'd found out pretty quickly that using the merger code wouldn't work, considering the merger code was meant for two different consciousnesses, not two branches of the same one. Then there was the issue of if Dream's body would be left behind when he reentered Clay's mind. Clay worked and worked at the code before him, trying to reverse engineer the split code.

"Clay, it's been hours. I don't think you've slept in over a day and you need something to eat." George leaned against the doorframe, hugging his body to keep warm in the cool room.

"You sound like my mom, George." Clay scoffed, promptly continuing to type away.

"And you sound like a stubborn idiot. Come on, let's go to bed." George approached Clay, resting his chin on Clay's hair. Too busy to notice their close proximity, Clay ignored George's request.

"Clay come on, I'm really worried about you. We have enough time to work on this tomorrow."

"Well stop being worried!" Clay snapped, pushing George off of him and turning around. "I don't need your worrying slowing me down."

"Well jeez," George heart hurt. "Sorry for caring."

"I don't need you to care, okay?" Clay spoke louder now, getting angry at god knows what.

"What's so wrong with caring about you? Seriously Clay, what's gotten into you?" George was wide awake now, an angry feeling warming his chest.

"Nothing! I just don't need any distractions! And there's nothing wrong with me, why are you being so pushy all of the sudden?" Clay slammed his computer shut.