The institution episode 38

****

Solomon, the party image promoter arrived at the government house an hour after the 8 o'clock news had been announced.
"What are you doing concerning this rubbish?" Samuel asked, Solomon noticed the chastening tone in his voice. As though the whole thing was his fault.
"I've been making calls all through the day"
"I've been making calls," he mimicked, "What stupid calls have you been making since? You're not doing your job oh"
"I've been doing all in my power to answer questions relating to why you fainted in the day. The way it happened, they made it look like you were scared. We all know people joke a lot in this country, and the way they've been editing the video to make it look like you were scared because you thought you saw a ghost"
"Of course that was the reason! Won't you faint if you saw the ghost of your mother?"
"My mother is not dead"
"And you're happy about it"
Solomon had no idea what point he was trying to ask but he wasn't willing to dwell on it either.
"Sir, it's as if you're not in a good mood"
"Can any sane person be in a good mood in a period like this? Did you watch the eight O'Clock news? Did you listen to that Oscar boy's program? No you didn't! but I did and my only solution is to lie that my health is deteriorating and I need to be flown out of the country"
"Sir. They haven't presented proof, I was hoping you'll talk to the press and tell them it's all a lie"
"Who will not believe a resurrected soul? Whether you like it or not, that woman's second coming is not for play. She has always hated me and she won't stop"
"You have to answer the press. They have questions"
"Are you deaf? Or is something wrong with your hearing? I said my health is deteriorating and I'm to be rushed to the hospital abroad with immediate effect and you're here telling me to go and offer myself as a sacrifice. Wait, do these press ever run out of questions?"
"The press are waiting for some sort of answer. This will make you look like a coward and hands will point at you. Let's face the truth, no evidence has been placed before you, for all we know it might be an opponent, especially Robert Oghenedode's plot to drag you down along with Benson so that SDPN can win election"
"Do you think it's wise to do that?"
"You're still the Governor and I have to written a speech already"
"I don't need any stupid speech"
Silvia called almost immediately and he picked up, the first thing he did was hiss. "Sir.. I needed to know if I can go ahead with the news"
"Save it for another day" he snapped hanging up then he looked at Solomon angrily.
"If this does not work, what should.i do to.you?" The governor asked and he quietly stared at him.

The following news took to the headlines in various newspapers and online articles the following morning;
"The once upon a time deadline declares aggressive protest against the alleged corrupt Governor of the state"
"Eight years and we've all been deceived with lies, this is the real truth. " - says Eghosa Obaseki

"Eghosa Obaseki petitioned the Governor, and all other executives"

"Intervene in Edo state now, Ivie Momoh urges the president"

"There can be no Justice when a corrupt Governor controls the police"

The governor stood in front of the state podium, giving a live broadcast.

"My dear, good and peace-loving people of Edo State, I bring you greetings. I must acknowledge every man for their cooperation in making my tenure  a good one. I sincerely appreciate the great people of this state for their unwavering support these eight years. God in heaven will reward and support you all. Well, what can I say? Something happened yesterday and I'm sure the whole country is talking about it. The reappearance of the women leader of National Progressive Party in 2010/11 has had mouths running. She went on giving false accusations about me sending... was it thugs to kill her and her fellow protesters. I never did anything of such, I never ordered her to killed. What will I gain from it? It is against everything i stand for. Why did she wait this long to report it? It's just two months before election. For what we know, Facts hasn't been presented yet for and It might be a projection by opposition party to tarnish our image. There is a need to fact check this. Besides, this is not a time to brew hatred and confusion, this is a time to promote love and spew out negativity and encourage an peaceful, free and fair election"