- 7 -

The city had fallen into chaos faster than the Titan's had expected. The war between Black-Mask and Tobias Whale had quickly escalated from simply raiding each others warehouse's and businesses to gunfights in the streets and blowing up their rivals buildings, the police were spread thin and even the Titans were felling the pressure.

Kori had split the Titans into groups to deal with the growing crime wave, splitting the groups by districts, making it easier for them to deal with crime. So while Beast-Boy and Starfire dealt with a gang of crooks robbing a factory in the Industrial district, and Beetle and Raven dealt with a hostage situation in the Commercial district. Damian and Donna where cutting of Black-Mask supply routes through attacking his strongholds in the Docks.

The two's tactics was that Damian, the much more capable fighter dealt with the thugs, the much stronger Wonder-Girl tossed the heavy crates full of weapons into the water.

In a normal battle, the side that had the advantage was the side that had more people would usually win. Even though it was 80 vs. 2, this was still no normal battle. The wide eyed thugs watched as the masked teen dispatched their friends one by one and their cargo kept disappearing over the ship's side.

While most thugs were smart and stayed hidden in cover, staying away from the teen who was currently kicking their friends teeth in, One 'brave' thug advanced on Damian, only stopping when he caught a Batarang to the thigh and having the Robin's sword handle smashed into his face, breaking his nose and knocking him unconscious.

Robin, who was in his element, was also exhausted, he'd been pulling all nighters plus most days thanks to this gang war. So he had barely gotten 10 hours of sleep in the past week and was kind of out of it, while he was zoned out one crook got ahold of a RPG 

"ROBIN WATCH OUT!" - Donna shouted, alerting him of said thug. Having only a brief window, Damian dived out of the way of the rocket which hit the ship's deck and exploded, creating a leak which began flooding the barge.

"ABANDON SHIP!" - Numerous thugs shouted and screamed, most obscenities, others diving into the freezing water of Jump Harbour, Climbing on to the shore they were quickly swarmed by the Police.

"Thank God." - Donna cried as she landed beside her exhausted teammate. - "Let's get back to the Tower, I need a sandwich and a nap." - She stretched as she said it.

Damian's gauntlet beeped. - "Hold that thought, Wonder-Girl. Beetle and Raven need our help." - Donna groaned as Damian clicked a button on his utility belt, calling his motorcycle. Donna and him took off, racing each other to the coordinates of the distress call Beetle had sent.

The hostage situation had looked like it turned into something far more dangerous, the streets had been churned up, with Lamp posts flattened against the sidewalk and store windows been shattered leaving glass scattered about. Fires were also common, engulfing buildings and growing larger, faster than the present firefighters were putting them out.

"Jesus." - Donna muttered, She stared at Damian who seemed unfazed, staring at the carnage that had befell the streets, like it was normal. While Donna was dumbfounded, Damian was analysing the chaos. Counting gunmen and predicting odds.

There were no civilians around, which was either a good sign. So the next thing to do, was find his team-mates. - "Beetle, Raven where are you?"

A stuttered reply came through. - "Robin... Wonder-Girl... Hyde street... Help!" - Each word was split between bouts of radio frequency.

"There on Hyde street, they need help. Let'g go!" - Robin pulled his Grapple-Gun, waiting for Donna to follow, but instead she hesitated.

Donna stepped up, blocking his way. - "Wait! Someone's gotta help these firefighters."

"Good point." - Damian agreed, he thought it over for a second before coming up with a plan. - "You go help the Firefighters, and I'll go help the others." - Donna nodded and flew off and he just grappled up onto a street light, swinging back and forth used his momentum and the gymnastic skills, Dick had taught him to swing himself to roof.

Leaping between various rooftops, Damian managed to get to Hyde-Street with relative ease even with his sleep deprivation. The street was ablaze with gunfire, men armed with automatic weapon fighting ferociously and using flipped cars for cover. Turning the street into a battlefield.

"Beetle, Raven, where are you?" - He repeated, this time, instead of a stuttered reply, all he got was radio static. - "Dammit, what now?" -  He mulled it over for a second, before he had an epiphany. Beetle's scarab produced a specific frequency that he could track. The signal was being broadcasted from approximately 28m North-West from here, which was a construction site. Dropping into the construction site, he found Jaime and Raven ducking behind a shipping container.

"Are you two okay?" - He whisper-shouted at the pair.

"NO!" - Jaime whispered frantically. - "Raven caught a bullet to the shoulder!" - He was hyperventilating and seemed to be getting worse by the minute. Raven leaned back, holding a hand over shoulder. Her fingers stained with a less than natural blood colour.

"Calm down." - Damian commanded, griping Jaime's shoulder tightly. - "Take a deep breath and calm down." - Jaime stared at him, before nodding and stepping away.

Damian crouched down to Raven. Examining the witch, Damian unclipped a first aid kit from his Utility-Belt. He gently tried to take Raven's hand, pulling it from off her shoulder, Her eyes glowed a blood red before she met Damian's and altered back to normal. She winced and moved her hand away allowing Damian to inspect her shoulder.

He pulled out a piece of gauze and held it to her arm. - "There isn't much I can do here. Beetle get her back to the Tower. Nightwing has more experience in the area, he can help her."

"Nightwing's in the field, he can't help her." - Jaime said, beginning to get frantic again.

"I'll call him."

"What about these guys? you can't deal with them alone."

"I'll manage."

"But..." - Damian cut him off with a glare. He passed Rave to Jaime who picked her up bridal style and took off leaving a cloud of dust behind him. Damian waited a few seconds before contacting Dick.

"Grayson, you're needed back at the tower. Raven need medical attention."

"Why, she ok?"

"No she's been shot." - Damian responded before taking out his earpiece, not wanting anyone to hear what he was going to do to the people that hurt his friend. He counted 23 gunmen, too many to take out in hand to hand. He needed a distraction. 

He tossed a handful of smoke pellets, which cracked and filled the street with the grey gas. Allowing him to drop down and stealthely deal with most of the thugs. There was only a few left when the smoke had dispersed. 

One of Black-Mask's men aimed at him, but he was able to grapple the weapon he was holding, spinning it, he knocked two of the 3 remaining guys to the ground before launching on the third, beating him to the ground. He then went over to one of the two he knocked down and hit him. Hard. Leaving him unconscious, the other reached for a dropped weapon but was stopped after Damian put a Batarang through his hand. 

Dragging the unconscious bodies to a sideway, Damian admired his handiwork, he was about to call the police before a rocket zoomed past his head, crashing into a car and blowing it up. He thought another thug had gotten ahold of another RPG. He was wrong. Damian came face to face a Tank.

Thanks for reading Ch. 7 of 'Counterparts', hope to see a comment, vote and you reading Ch. 8 - MM