14. The Tension and the Spark

EMILY

RED FLAG!

A murmur went up around the track from those who hadn't seen the accident on the big screens. For those of us on the Wellington straight, the reason was obvious. The remains of Kimi Raikkonen's scarlet Ferrari lay against the Armco barrier and the Finn was still inside, although thankfully he was moving. Debris was strewn across the track, the path of devastation obvious. 

My first real challenge as an F1 photographer 

I had seen the car shooting past me towards the barrier and fought every urge to either a) stay routed to the spot and just watch in horror, or b) turn away and close my eyes. Instead I kept the camera to my face and my finger on the shutter, trying not to think about what I would do if it had been Dan not Kimi hurtling out of control at 150mph. 

Like a boomerang how ironic, my mind kept returning to the enthralling Australian. He had appeared strangely distracted after practice yesterday, and a disappointing eighth place grid slot seemed to suggest that this hadn't worn off later in the day. I hadn't reminded him about his previous invitation to the after-party and he hadn't brought it up. It was probably just as well - as I'd told him before I wasn't designed for celebrity parties - I didn't have the confidence, the looks, or the wardrobe. Mind you the chance to take a spin on the dancefloor against Daniel's toned body was a far from unpleasant thought and I had packed one decent outfit...just in case...

The welcome sound of engines interrupted my reverie. I switched hurriedly back into Professional Mode and enjoyed a thrilling race, the British public getting a rare opportunity to celebrate a British victory and boy did they enjoy it, the Grandstands errupting behind me as i reached the pit straight just in time. More importantly (to my mind) it was another podium for Daniel, and one I wanted to be there to enjoy every minute of, although there were definitely divided loyalties as he held off a fast-finishing Jenson for third. 

"Hey!"

Somehow Darren had materialised by my side.

"Hey, good day? Where you end up?" I shouted above the cheers.

"Started at Abbey and worked round, you?"

"Wellington, then round to Woodcote and Copse before heading back down here"

"Wellington?" His eyes widened. "Did you get it?

I didn't need to ask what 'it' was.

"Yeah, I THINK so -  I'll need to get them on the screen to see properly"

""Nice job" he raised his hand for a high-five and did my hopes of going to the next Grand Prix no harm whatsoever. 

I stood on tiptoe and raised my camera above my head as the drivers walked on to the podium to another explosion of sound. It was clearly a popular result and there was a lot of support for Valtteri and Daniel as well, both of whom had exceded all expectations so far this year. There was only one man who could light up a podium like that though, and his smile seemed to go straight to me. 

***

I hurried back to the village as soon as the media calls were completed, knowing that Daniel would still be busy for a while yet, at least with the German Grand Prix coming up in a fortnights time, there was no need for another lingering goodbye assuming I had done enough to secure my job of course. I frantically stuffed everything into my case, knowing that if I was going to be able to call a taxi and make the train tonight, that I was going to have to hurry. Blame Kimi for that one! 

My phone rang in my pocket, and I cursed, throwing an armful of clothes on to the bed.

"Where are you?"