24. Up In The Air

EM

'I'll make it up to you I promise'

I sighed as I tucked the phone back into the pocket of my jeans. Reasons not to date an F1 driver No.1: manic schedule. Fortunately the 'Reasons TO date an F1 driver especially if he's Daniel Ricciardo' column was currently overflowing. I couldn't help it - I was like a kid with a new favourite toy that I couldn't bear to be parted with, and I felt pathetic. 

'Join me for a drink and stop me looking like a loner?' With all the practice photos sorted, I knew it was my last chance to really chill out before the weekend's real work began. Of course Jules was probably up to her eyeballs in it already, that's if she ever actually stopped.

'Quick one sounds good, I'll come to you'

'One' drink was soon gone as we talked, or rather I bombarded her with questions about the upcoming races and she did her best to answer them.

"Sooooo.....how's life?"

The older woman looked up smiling and changed the subject as I placed a second round of overflowing drinks on the table between us.

"It's good" I replied breezily "Finally getting used to the lifestyle, pictures are getting better all the time..."

I broke off laughing as she folded her arms and glared at me. I knew exactly what she wanted to hear about but I had no intention of making it easy for her. 

"And the other stuff?"

"Hotel room isn't bad...food is excellent....OKAY FINE!" I gave in when I could no longer keep a straight face. "It's amazing, he's amazing" I gushed, feeling my cheeks turning red. "I'm just waiting for something to go wrong" I added more seriously. "It's almost too good to be true"

"Does Dan know about...the incident?"

"Nobody does except you, seeing as you were the one who pointed out The Great Rachel Mistake"

"Are you going to tell him?"

"And say what? 'Hi gorgeous, by the way it wasn't until I went home and shagged my ex-boyfriend that I realised I loved you instead...' I bit my tongue sharply as I realised the words that I'd just said, the sudden pain helping to block everything else from my mind.

"And do you?"

"What?"

"Do you love him?"

"I didn't MEAN to" I realised immediately how stupid that sounded."I wasn't LOOKING for this" I clarified - I thought I'd had enough of relationships but he's just so..."

"So Dan?" she finished my sentence with a sympathetic smile.

"Exactly" I groaned, burying my face in my hands.

"You know you're going to have to tell him sometime right, it's bottling things up like that that can tear people apart"

"I knowwww" I kept my face glued to the sticky table top. " but I nearly let Jamie get in the way of this once, I can't let him ruin it now"

"Don't leave it too late Em, trust me" something in her voice made me look up questioningly. 

"Don't ask - that's a story for another time and a stronger drink"

"I'll let you off until next time then?" I smiled, pushing back my chair. We left the room in companionable silence, neither of us paying any attention to the occupant of the booth behind. 

 ***

Fifth place might not sound like much after some of his recent results, but it was probably one of the most stylish fifth place drives in recent years. On track as well as off it, I realised that I just couldn't keep my eyes off Daniel. So much for complete impartiality I thought ruefully as I cheered another stunning overtake, my shutter chattering crazily.