issue zeroth: kiss and don't tell

The three fundamental laws of Northwood High were firmly established

The three fundamental laws of Northwood High were firmly established. Crafted by our ancestors and verified by future generations, no one refuted the completely logical three sentences that governed our school.

One, a rumour in motion tends to remain in motion unless compelled by an outside force to shut the fuck up.

Two, the amount of respect you received was directly proportional to your popularity.

And the third, and the most supremely infallible one, Wilder Collins was the best kisser ever.

As of eight forty-five on Wednesday evening I, Nicola Evans had successfully verified the third law in person.

Perhaps the wrong thing to be thinking of, but somehow, when the hottest guy in the school is kissing you like you're Aurora, your mind wanders to the extremely unsophisticated food you had during lunch. Even though I had no way of knowing how the events would unfold, I wished I had leaned towards a virgin mojito or something fresher.

But of course, you had to have the tacos, right Nico?

I knotted my fingers in his soft hair instead as I kissed him back, my heart fluttering

I knotted my fingers in his soft hair instead as I kissed him back, my heart fluttering. My stomach was clenching nervously with each passing second. His lips were warm. Soft. Eager. His hands grabbed my waist, holding me close. He smelled a little like chlorine mixed with a secret, seductive scent I couldn't quite place. Our body heat intertwined palpably, leaving our rate of inhalation, or breathing rather laboured. If he could taste the jalapeno in my mouth, he didn't seem to mind it very much.

Or perhaps, he simply had a taste for it.

Hot, naked tongues of fire ravaged my stomach when his tongue traced my bottom lip. My subsequent shock rendered me unable to react appropriately, which would perhaps have entailed my own tongue meeting his.

About thirty-three seconds later, his mouth left mine and our eyes met. I was breathless as I gazed mesmerized into the brown eyes with bluish flecks that made me weak in my knees.

Wilder let go of me and gazed around the dark kitchen, biting his lip in what I assumed was nervousness. I could still hear the muffled sounds of the blaring music outside at the pool party, the one thrown by his girlfriend.