issue twentieth: s.o.s

My woozy brain snapped out of its intoxication and I ran over to him, my heart hammering somewhere near my throat.

"Arfie! Arfie!" I  kneeled beside him, my body suddenly numb. I watched in despair as he lay down, panting hard, his eyes spiritless and tired. I gazed at the blood-streaked vomit, my lungs constricting in terror. My entire world disappeared, the walls seemed to fall away and I trembled violently. 

No. No. No.

No one was home, there was no way I could wait anyway. But I felt too panicked. Arfie was a big dog and I was afraid to try and move him on my own. Then it struck me with the force of lightning.

Wilder.

He was on foot and couldn't have gone too far. I reached a trembling hand into my pocket, kneeling helplessly over Arfie, my heart hammering painfully. My shaky fingers found his number and I clicked on it, holding it to my ear, each second stretching on like hours. 

He picked up on the second ring and I immediately launched into speech in a voice trembling so bad I was half afraid he wouldn't understand me. My fingers felt cold, my stomach felt suddenly hollow.

"Wilder, get a cab. Need to go t-to vet, I think, Arfie swallowed something or- something. I...I don't want him to die," I ended in a scandalous whisper, struggling to hold my tears back. He took in a sharp breath before replying curtly.

"He'll be okay. I'll be there soon. Collect his vomit sample in a Tupperware or something. I'm calling a cab."

He hung up and I sprang to my feet, praying to all gods under the universe as I ran to the kitchen and grabbed the first container I could find. I picked up a glass and ran over to where he lay, his eyes barely open as he panted breathlessly.

"Arfie...please...please be okay. Please..." I whispered incoherently as if my words would keep him alive. It was a messy job to try and get as much of the vomit in the container as I could, my trembling hands and the pungent smell didn't make it any better. I placed the container on the floor and sat cross-legged, gently lifted his head up, my vision was hazy. He gazed up at me, his eyes were terrifyingly glassy. I leaned into him, burying my face in his fur. "Arfie...please...please be okay...please..."

The main door swung open after a while and I felt a surge of relief through me as Wilder ran in, his eyes wide as they took in the mess in front of him. He took a deep breath and ran forward, gently lifting a shivering Arfie in his arms. "The cab is right outside okay? Did you take the sample?"

I nodded and picked up the container, getting to my feet. He took it and balanced it in his arms. 

He nodded at me and started rushing back outside. I shut the door behind us, locking it hastily as he got into the cab that was waiting outside. I slipped in after him, my entire body was cold, my senses numb. I could hear Wilder saying something to the driver but I couldn't quite figure out anything. I realized with a jolt that I didn't have much cash with me either, but that could be taken care of later.

I stared in front of me, unseeing as the car moved painfully slow. I painstakingly broke out of my reverie as I felt a sticky, gross something on my cheek and gazed down to see Arfie gazing intently at me as he gently licked my face. As if he was trying to assure me that everything was going to be alright. I gave a loud sob and yelled at the driver, begging him to go faster.

We reached the animal hospital a few minutes later and Wilder dashed out even before the car stopped completely. I ran after him, all thoughts leaving my mind. My legs felt like blocks of ice and I had to force my lungs to breath, I had to command my heart to beat. I ran through the glass doors, panting as I finally reached the counter where a motherly looking woman sat. I gasped, huffing for breath.