issue four: roll credits

Wilder was going be at his football practice for a couple of hours after school. Which gave me two hours to run back home, take a shower and try to dress somewhat more decently than I usually would. I combed my hair and applied some perfume, feeling like an absolute idiot. 

Was I trying to seduce him or something?

Maybe.

Pathetic.

I half debated changing into something very casual so I didn't come off as 'trying too hard' or seductive. But then I realized that my black hoodie hardly said, 'spank me, daddy'. So I decided to stick with it.

We were yet to figure out where we would work and I decided to simply wait around before he messaged me again. By the time it was five-thirty, I was pacing around anxiously in my room. His practice would have finished more than a couple of hours ago. I finally sat on my bed, wondering if he probably wasn't going to message me at all when my phone rang. I gazed despondently at the unknown number and answered the call.

"Hello?"

"Evans?" My stomach somersaulted at Wilder's voice. "I'm free now. Where do you wanna meet?"

I was quiet, my breath caught in my throat. He had kept my number. Even though his own had changed, he had kept my number. The gesture touched me so much that I almost forgot about him eating Kendra's face in the morning. 

Almost.

"Um...anywhere is fine." I racked my brains, speaking without quite thinking, "You could come over to my place." 

I bit my tongue and waited for the rejection. He was quiet for a while before he answered, "Alright. I'll be there."

I was stunned and spoke breathlessly, "I live on the-"

"I know," he answered, sounding slightly amused. "I've been there you know."

I bit my tongue and shut up, amazed that he remembered my address. "Er...yeah. I know."

"Alright, I'll be there soon."

He hung up. I kept the phone pressed to my ear long after the line had already gone dead. My heart fluttered in anticipation and I sprang to my feet. I gazed around my room, making sure that everything was in its proper place. I glanced at the many posters on my wall, my eyes stopping on the space club sky chart. I was reminded of the astronomy club that I had joined with Wilder. In spite of our different dynamics, we had been strangely interested in the same things. 

I made my way downstairs. Arfie was barking loudly and ran towards me, excited for something just because I was. I sat on the chair in the kitchen, leaning slightly so I could see the front door. It was surreal to have him back at my place after three years. My stomach was clenched in anticipation and I drummed my fingers impatiently on the table. After a while, the doorbell rang and I sprang to my feet, my heart thudding as I ran towards the door. I stood still for a while, wondering how long I should take to open the door before giving in and opening it in under ten seconds. 

Wilder stood at the entrance, looking illegally gorgeous in a simple black t-shirt. He smiled somewhat awkwardly. "Hey."

I was very close to hyperventilating. 

I gazed at his gorgeous smile, his brown, beautiful eyes that seem to stare into my soul. It was then that I realized how much taller he had gotten over the years. "Er, hey."

I stepped back to let him in. He shut the door behind him and gazed around, putting his hands in his jeans pockets awkwardly. He opened his mouth but before he could say anything, Arfie flung himself on him and started licking him like a rabid dog.