issue three: wilder and kendra sitting in a tree

"How are things at school honey?"

"Good."

"How are your classes?"

"Great."

"Your friends?"

"Awesome."

"Look up when spoken to, Nicola," my mom said impatiently and clicked her tongue. "And stop playing with your food."

I placed the spoon back on the plate, the yellow yolk of the half boiled egg on it still half-eaten and faced my mom. "Sorry," I muttered, locking my phone and placing it back in my pocket. Ever since Wilder had replied to me, I had tried to keep the conversation going. So far, he had replied in a civilized manner, which was enough to make me hope.

Stupid dumb hope. A dream for the fickle-minded.

"Why are you on that phone so much anyway?" she asked as she applied a liberal amount of butter on the bread and placed it on my plate. I blushed but tried to hide it. I stared at the bread on the plate and sighed, pushing it away from me. She shook her head and continued. "You don't eat nearly enough, honey."

I shook my head and was thankful when Kailey walked into the kitchen, her long dark hair pulled behind in a ponytail. She was in her black and pink sports tee and shorts which made me realize with a jolt that the inter-school tournaments would begin again. My heart sunk as I realized that would mean that it would be difficult for Wilder to help me.

She sat across the table from me, ignoring me completely as she took a piece of bread off the stack kept on the centre of the table. "Morning, mom!"

She smiled as mom gave her a nod. "Goodmorning, sweetie."

What a kiss ass.

Kailey and I had never been close, growing further apart after elementary school. Soon after, she started hanging out with older students and gradually ascended higher in the popularity quotient.

"Mom, I might be late today," she said. "I'm going out with Matt."

I stopped in my act of playing with my food and gazed silently at my mom, waiting for her reprimand. However, she smiled and nodded. "Alright, honey. Take care and be responsible, and return home on time."

Kailey nodded as I gaped open-mouthed at them. What was this gender-biased game my mom was playing? I couldn't imagine her ever approving of me dating before college, not even if it were a girl.

"Nicola," my mom began, clearing her throat as I flinched slightly at the name. Why they had decided to give my sister a really cool and modern name while I was stuck with a 'fancy-but-an actually-feminine-kinda-Nicholas-but-not-quite-Nicholas name that didn't help my social status, was beyond me.

"I was wondering...how's Rayleigh?"

Kailey started giggling as I gaped at my mom, stunned. I wondered where she was going with this. "Er...she's alright."

"She is a nice girl, honey," my mom continued, her voice soft. "I was thinking...you may have someone you like. And I know in the past I haven't exactly been very supportive, but if you would like to get into dating, provided you are responsible, of course-"

"Mom, stop it," I said, my face burning. "She's my friend."

Kailey started laughing, her eyes sparkling mischievously as she spoke. "Yes, and she's a girl-"

My stomach turned to lead as I glanced at her, my eyes wide. I know we didn't exactly get along, but I never really thought she would oust my sexuality to my mother.