1 - The Proposal!

RK Kalyana Mandappam (RK marriage hall)

The marriage hall is full of people roaming here and there and people are well dressed in silk and jewels. The instruments are playing in a rhythm and children are playing with their fellow mates. The Father of the groom welcomed Sriram and Shailaja, one of the reputed families in the city. They wished the couple and presented them the gifts which they bought for them

After having breakfast in the dining hall, the bride's mom and Sriram and his wife seated themselves in the chairs relaxingly. Sriram started the conversation, "Akka, the marriage went well actually, and trust me, the food is amazing" he said with a smile, and the bride's mom told him "Yeah Sriram, at last, my daughter got married and I felt like winning a huge prize. Because settling the life of our children is not that easy" She turned her head towards Shailaja and she nodded her head in agreement. "Then what about Nandhini and Vivaan, Shailaja? I asked you to bring them to this marriage, Nah?" She questioned her creasing her eyebrows together. 

Shailaja smiled a bit and told her "No Akka, they are busy with their works. Nandhini is having exams and she told me that she has to study a lot and Vivaan has office today and he can't take leave often." The bride's mother said, "Ohhh, I understood now. Okay at least bring them for the family pooja which is on Sunday" she paused and then said, "I hope busy bees won't have any work on Sunday" everyone started laughing and thus the function ended happily.

Nandhini's Home:

Sriram and Shailaja are having tea and watching TV meanwhile Sriram's phone started ringing. The call is coming from his brother Jayaram and he picked up the call instantly. Unless there is an emergency, you can't expect any calls or messages from Jayaram and that's why Sriram picked up his call immediately. But now, there is no emergency or urgency. After enquiring about the well-being of the family, Jayaram started the topic. "Sriram I think it's time for Nandhini to get married" The topic was really not pleasant for the whole family because they had other plans in their mind. Nandhini is 22 years old pursuing her final year degree in law and her ambition is to become a Judicial officer. That's why Sriram didn't let anyone come with marriage proposals until she fulfils her dream of becoming a judge. But now the situation is different and whenever they show their head in functions, the people ask about Nandhini only and you all know why.

Sriram has huge respect for his brother and he denied politely, "No Anna, we are not going to get her married now. As you all know about her passion, we cannot compel her to set aside her dream at any cost. Sorry to say this Anna and please don't take it as wrong". But Jayaram was not convinced and asked his brother to reconsider their decision. "See Sriram, Nandhini is not a little girl. Dreams are important and I can completely understand that. But we should think about her future also. Dreams can be fulfilled at any time but marriage is something different that has to be done within a certain age. The groom's family is well known to me and I can assure you that you will never regret your decision ever." 

This strikes the head of Sriram and he said that he will consult the family and inform him later. Sriram told everything to his wife Shailaja and she too thinks the same as Jayaram. They called Vivaan to the living room and discussed the matter in private. Vivaan said, "There is nothing to worry pa. We shall talk with the groom's family in the first place and let them know about Nandhini's aim. If they are okay with that, then we shall proceed further. Otherwise, let us stop this. What do you say?" This seems to be a good idea for Sriram and he agreed to go by the idea of Vivaan. The next day Nandhini went to college and the other three - Sriram, Shailaja, and Vivaan planned to meet Jayaram for deciding the proposal. Jayaram told them the family name of the groom. Little did they know that they are the relatives of the bride who got married a few days ago.