Chapter 4

"I don't want it, I'm not hungry anymore," Peter whined, turning his head steadfastly so his mother couldn't continue to feed him. Mary tightened her lips tightly and placed a fork with a piece of pizza on a plastic plate. Today was not a good day and she did not want it to discharge her anger at her son. And especially in a restaurant where everyone was watching and listening to things they had nothing to do with.

If the woman did not give him cookies, he would have no problem eating dinner, flashed her in head and she frowned slightly. She wiped Peter's dirty ketchup mouth with a tissue and smiled kindly at him as he looked at her.

"Do you want to go play, honey?" she asked. This restaurant was their favorite because the food was great, and there was also a kids' corner with climbing frames, slides, tables and crayons, and a few toys. Peter loved it here so soon Mary was already staring at him as he ran to find his favorite toys.

Tony still had a lot of food on his plate, but now he folded the cutlery and looked carefully at his girlfriend. She had barely spoken to him since they'd said goodbye to Pepper. Something happened, something upset her.

"Babe..."

"Will there be anything else you want?" asked the waitress, who suddenly appeared at their table. Mary smiled broadly at her.

"Yes, a glass of red wine, please."

"For you too, sir?"

"No, no, he's driving," Mary laughed falsely and finished her glass of water. "We're not going to call Pepper to pick us up," she added venomously toward him, and he paused. He didn't understand what Miss Potts had to do with it.

"Honey, is something wrong?" he asked her slowly, not really understanding. She smiled sweetly at him.

"Oh no, not at all. Everything is just perfect. Our son is only watched by a strange woman, offering him sweets, and in addition, she is a very good friend with you. I'm sorry, did I miss anything? You never introduced her to me. Your dear Pepper, for which you invented the name?" she spat at him, and Tony blinked several times. He needed a moment to put it right in his head and understand what Mary was blaming him for. But he wasn't responsible for any of this!

"I only met Pepper a short time ago when I needed to look after Peter for a moment because of an urgent meeting and you were at work." He tried to suppress the accusatory tone, but he wasn't doing well. He was concerned, Mary blamed him for utter uselessness, and he had nothing to do with it. "Peter liked her and I think she's a very good woman. And, forgive me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't you watch him today?"

Mary paused. In the meantime, the waitress brought her a glass of wine and she quietly thanked her.

"Well, yes. But I needed to do something quickly so I took him to work with me. He promised me he would be nice. It was supposed to be just a moment."

"Apparently, it wasn't, was it?" Tony murmured. Mary frowned at him. "Can't you just be home for at least a day? For Peter?"

"So it's all my fault?" she bristled like a cat and then sipped her wine quickly. "Is it my fault that they need me at work?!"

"If you'd want, you would make it somehow! I don't think we're financially bad that we had to work both! Peter needs mom!"

"So you think I'm a bad mom," she breathed, and Tony paused. He didn't say that... "Well, maybe it would be best if you go after that amazing Pepper that Peter likes so much. You can pack up and go. Pff, Pepper," she snorted. "That's like a name for a whore." When she saw Tony stiff, she realized what she'd said to him in affection. She covered her mouth with her hands and her eyes filled with tears. "I... Tony, I'm sorry. I didn't want that. I just... I can't handle it anymore." She covered her face with her hands and began to cry.

Tony suddenly didn't know what to do. He was shocked at what Mary said, what she said about Pepper. Perhaps she didn't think he had an affair with her? Yes, in the past, he had often changed women, but as soon as he met her and then found out that he would be a father... he couldn't destroy his family. He loved them both so much.

"You're arguing?" came a frightened voice beside him, and Tony glanced back. Peter stood there, watching his parents with concern. Then he quickly walked over to Mary and tugged at the hem of her skirt. "Mommy, are you crying?"

"Oh, no, no, I'm not crying, my love," she assured him, quickly wiping her wet cheeks and smiling broadly at him. Peter climbed onto her lap and wrapped her arms around her neck. "That was just some kind of allergy, you know? I took the pill and it will be good."

"That's good. I was afraid you were crying and that you and dad were arguing. I don't want you to argue," Peter murmured, clutching her tightly. Mary hugged him and pressed a kiss into his hair.

"But we didn't argue with mommy at all, we just talked about something, you know?" Tony assured him and winked at him. Peter smiled. "So, do you have a full tummy? Happy? Can we go home?"

"It's probably the best," Mary nodded, staring briefly at Tony. "I'm really tired after tonight, and I can't wait to lie down."

"You should take time off. Have a break. You deserve some time for yourself," Tony persuaded her as he helped her into her coat.

"We'll see," she smiled wearily, putting Peter's cap on. Then she kissed his forehead. "Can we go, honey?"

"Yes," he nodded, and Mary took him in her arms. Meanwhile, Tony paid, then they left the restaurant and went to the car. "Mommy, can I sleep in your bed tonight?"

She laughed. "You know you can. You're tired too, aren't you, honey?"

"Yes. Do I have to brush my teeth?"

"You have to, little bat," Tony shook his head, then began to say in a mysterious voice: "If you don't care for them, a bad tooth fairy will come for them and drill them all in your sleep. Or send hungry worms to crawl into your mouth and eat those teeth there—"

"Don't scare him, Tony!"

"Sorry, that's how Aunt Peggy always told me. Then I brushed my teeth at least three times a day."