Chapter 30

"Underoos!" Peter's hair on the back of his neck bristled when he heard his father's voice. With a pounding heart and adrenaline rushing to his blood, he jumped off the roof, shot a web, and picked up Steve's shield, then falling gracefully beside his father.

"Peter?" Steve breathed in disbelief, not hiding the admiration in his eyes when he first saw little Stark in his Spider-Man suit.

"Yeah, it's me," Peter replied, a smile on his face that the Captain couldn't see. "I still like you, Steve, but you're against my dad and I can't leave him alone."

"This has nothing to do with you. It's dangerous and—"

"Stop playing responsible daddy, Rogers," Tony growled, stepping into their conversation impatiently. Steve winced. "If you don't give up, I'll have to hurt you." Even though I still care about you, he added in his head. He hoped it would work out and Captain would give up. But he knew very well that he did not have such a thing in his character. He always fought to the end.

"Pepper knows about this?" Steve had to ask.

"That's none of your business," Tony snapped, knowing he was slowly approaching the fight, and he began to swear in his mind that he had brought Peter here with him. What did he think? They might hurt him. His only son... Nothing can happen to him. And Pepper can't find out about this at any cost. "You've been a complete idiot. Dragging in Clint. 'Rescuing' Wanda from a place she doesn't even want to leave, a safe place. I'm trying to keep..." He shook his head and sighed in disappointment. "I'm trying to keep you from tearing the Avengers apart. Why can't you understand that?"

"You did that when you signed."

"Alright, we're done. You're gonna turn Barnes over, you're gonna come with us. NOW! Because it's us! Or a squad of J-SOC guys with no compunction about being impolite. Come on, Steve. I am begging you," Tony exhaled and Peter froze. On the way here, his dad didn't explain much to him. He told him that the team was not far from falling apart and that Steve was doing stupid things. But as it seemed so far, it was much more serious than he thought. Peter didn't want to fight, not Steve, because he really liked him. But he didn't seem to have a choice in the end. He has to save himself and help Tony.

The flying arrow suddenly freed Steve from Peter's web. "Alright, Lang." Something - or rather someone - suddenly knocked Peter to the ground. He screamed in pain.

"Peter!"

"It's okay! I am fine!" he shouted at his father and quickly got up to his feet.

"Whoa. What--what the hell was that?" Rhodey said incomprehensibly. Some stranger Peter had never seen in his life took the shield and handed it back to Steve.

"Oh great," Tony growled. "Alright, there's two on the parking deck. One of them's Maximoff, I'm gonna grab her. Rhodey, you want to take Cap?"

"Got two in the terminal, Wilson and Barnes."

"What should I do?" Peter asked.

"What we discussed. Keep your distance. Web 'em up. Be careful," Tony replied, flying away.

"Okay, copy that!" Peter exclaimed enthusiastically, firing a web on the opposite building, where Sam and Barnes were reported by Rhodey. Natasha was now fighting the stranger and kicking him in the crotch. "Wow, great job, Aunt Nat!" he shouted at her, and she looked up. But suddenly she fell to the ground. "Nat!" Peter wondered if he should change direction and go to help her, but she made it of her own, and she was on her feet again. Aunt Nat always did everything.

"Be careful!" she shouted at him.

Peter really climbed like a spider through the glass windows and saw Wilson and Barnes running away. He jumped inside and shot the web to the ceiling so he could stay in the air.