Chapter 42

"So, you can order a pizza, can't you?" Tony asked, his eyebrows raised, Peter and Rhodey lounging on the sofa in front of the TV, pushing the remote buttons furiously.

"We're not little kids- Noooo, I lost! I'm not playing with you anymore, Peter," Rhodey frowned, acting like he was offended, which didn't last long, and then they both laughed. Tony rolled his eyes and for a moment he felt like the mother of two adolescent children. (Let's omit the fact that he himself sometimes behaved like a teenager.)

"I am not so sure about that."

"When are you coming back?" Peter asked, putting down the remote for a moment and the game paused.

"I don't know exactly. I'll see how long it takes, but I really hope that when I'm back home, I won't find you here in the same position. Peter, don't forget you have to go to school, and Rhodey, be a little responsible, would you?"

"Hey, who are you to command me? I've been the more responsible of the two of us since the beginning of time," Rhodey countered, then waved. "Now go or your plane will fly away without you. Peter and I are having a big party here, which  even moron Ross is going to enjoy." Tony looked horrified at the thought of a drunken secretary Ross walking across his home.

"Keep your jokes, Rhodes. And try not to set it on fire here, please."

"Yes, Mom," Peter grinned, but then stopped. There was a sudden tense atmosphere in the room. Rhodey cleared his throat and stood up slowly.

"I'm going for a drink. Peter, turn on another level there. I'll beat you this time," he said firmly and went into the kitchen. Tony said goodbye to Peter in the meantime. "Hey, Tony. There probably won't be much truth about you flying to some stupid conference, or what is it, right?"

Tony looked over his shoulder as if checking to see if Peter was listening. Then he leaned toward Rhodey. "Not a word to anyone, especially not to Peter. I know where Pepper is, I have to go to see her and settle everything with her. And most importantly, get her back home."

Rhodey nodded, then patted his best friend on the shoulder. "I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, Tony. I really hope Pepper comes back. You two were such a certainty - a couple that no one and nothing could tear apart. Now we can all just give up."

"Don't make it worse," Tony muttered, his stomach clenching from the moment Friday told him she knew where Pepper was. Almost immediately, he decided to go after her before she disappeared again. And this time he really has to convince her. Plus... Pepper won't be excepting him. And he has the keys. He wouldn't have to ring on a doorbell and beg - well, he'd be on his knees because of her. And speaking of kneeling, he had a ring hidden in his jacket pocket that he had longed to give her for so long.

How would it have been if he had asked her to marry him a few months ago and she had agreed? Would that gesture be magnificent and convincing enough that she would do nothing about Mary's words and know how important she was to them? Tony preferred to suppress those thoughts quickly. He would blame himself even more than he already does.

•••

It was strange to walk through those large rooms and not hear Pepper and Peter laugh. It was empty, quiet, and depressing, and Tony didn't understand how Pepper could handle it. He was convinced that she still loved him, both of them. That the unexpected break-up happened only because she wanted to push him away and fulfill what Mary wanted. He clenched his fists at the thought of her.

He heard the familiar clatter of heels that stopped after a moment. His stomach clenched and his heart began to beat hard. Did his heart know that his soulmate, the love of his life, was just a few steps away, and it wanted to run toward her? It must have been a little over a week since Pepper left, but for Tony, it was like the longest years. Pure agony. There is probably some truth to the fact that when we spend time with a loved one, the hours run like seconds; but when we are separated from them, the days seem like years to us.

"Tony!" Pepper yelled, placing a hand on her heart as she stepped into the living room and found an unannounced visit. Tony couldn't take his eyes off her long slender legs at first, but then he recovered quickly, fearing that Pepper would run away from him, he was suddenly in front of her, already holding her in his arms. "Tony!!"

"Forgive me. Forgive me all this, I beg you, Pepper," he whispered against the skin on her neck, and he couldn't resist taking a deep breath of her scent. He closed his eyes. Oh God, how much he missed all the little things about her. How much he missed her. "I'll never let you go, Pepper."

"Tony, that's not how it works—"

"Why not? Pepper, I love you and that will never change. You don't even know how much we both miss you. It's getting worse day by day and I can't take it any longer without you. Why didn't you tell me about Mary, love? I hate that woman! I have no idea what she told you—"

"I think she was just telling me the truth, Tony," Pepper said softly, and he paused. "We can't do this, Tony. Please let me go. And go back home."

"No! I won't let you go and I will stay here until you come back with me. Please, Pepper. When Friday told me she knew where you were, it was... like the world was starting to be colorful again, not just black and white."

"Tony, it'll really be better if-" She didn't say what would be better. Tony grabbed her tightly around the waist and kissed her urgently but tenderly. When she didn't pull away, he deepened the kiss, he raised his hand and stroked her cheek. Fireworks seemed to explode in their bodies, and their hearts fluttered with happiness, and a feeling of joy trembled in their lower abdomens.

Pepper knew that this kiss was a huge mistake from the beginning, but she couldn't resist, she couldn't pull away. She kissed Tony as passionately as he kissed her, even though the red warning light flashed in her mind. She played with his feelings - and she tormented and tortured herself even more.

But then she finally pulled away - and very reluctantly - and leaned her hands against his chest. Tony's eyes shone with happiness and she looked down. Her heart ached, but she was sure she was doing the right thing.

"Tony, we can really do that. This was a mistake, I— "

"I will not give up on you," he said firmly. "I will wait and fight for you. And so will Peter. You are ours."

She closed her eyes and exhaled. "I need time."

"I'll give you as much time as you want."

"And also space, so I can settle everything and... think of something."

"Are you kicking me out?" Sparks jumped in his eyes. "Pepper, I'll try to think of something too. I know you're scared, and you're so kind that you're trying to please everyone and step on your own happiness. No, we must not submit to that terrible woman. I'll try to arrange it so she let us be, and if..." he swallowed, because the words were hard for him to say, "if you feel safe here, stay here. But promise me you'll consider your return." Leaving her here and returning home meant continuing to worry about her not being with him again. But he didn't want to push her.

Pepper bit her lip. This was getting worse and worse. But her heart longed to be close to Tony and Peter again. Maybe it will really work out somehow. Maybe... maybe Mary really won't re-enter their lives. She'll give it time to it.

"I promise."

•••

Well, this sh*t hurt, right? I need my babies back together, but you know it won't be so easy, don't you?