Chapter 39

"Wow, that was rough," came a voice behind her as Stark's men left the parking lot.

"Well, it wasn't exactly peaches and cream. It complicates our plan a bit, but they are just emotions and they can be controlled. It will only slow us down a bit," she said without emotion. She gave him a look and walked away.

"Do you think you can change their feelings about you? I know you're good, but you'd have to be a witch to make them love you. They hate you and it should be noted that it isn't surprising at all," he remarked as he followed her.

"AND? They are not the first and certainly not the last. Don't underestimate me, Quentin. You want your revenge, but I want to finally bring my groundbreaking research to the end. That's a damn big motivation. And I don't even have to mention that I'll do anything to reach it. Plus, now when our dear Miss Potts is gone, they'll need a new woman's hand at home," she grinned. The universe somehow seemed funny to her. She hadn't even thought about Tony all these years, and suddenly their paths came together again.

"We could be sixty before they start to trust you. And that's why, I think, it's good that our plan works excellently at least on my part. I can't say it's revolutionary, but he's starting to trust me."

"Seriously? That's great news! I've been working on it for so long and the end is finally at my fingertips. My life's work, my child!" Mary said and it was one of the most sincere reactions you could ever see from her.

"You know, I'm not even surprised Peter doesn't want you as his mother," Quentin chuckled.

"You always have some comments. Why are you coming with me, anyway?"

"I don't know, I thought I'd keep you company," he replied, shrugging.

"Then get lost. I don't care about your smartass comments. Plus, I'm going to the lab anyway."

"Yeah? And will Richard be there, too?" he asked with a smug expression.

"Oh my God! You and I are not friends. We are just two people who currently have the same goal. Bye," she said more rudely, as was typical of her and left him on the street alone.

•••

"I must say I am very surprised, Miss Potts. I really wouldn't expect you here. Forgive me if my question is bold, but why would a woman of such high status go back to her beginning?" the elderly man asked her.

She was not surprised to hear this question. She was even rather surprised that he hadn't asked earlier. "You know what it's like, not everyone can bask in the sun forever. I did the job for seven long years, and although I loved it, I began to feel exhausted. I think it's time for a change," she replied with her rehearsed answer. It's also not good to fall in love with a company owner, she thought to herself, remembering Tony's words he'd said to her after breaking up with Mary.

I'll give you some advice, Pepper. Never fall in love with anyone. You are too smart to be destroyed by a man. And here she was. From the CEO of the company just an ordinary assistant again. And even though it hurt terribly that she was no longer part of their lives, she didn't regret the feelings she felt for him. As someone would say, he was her true love. It just wasn't meant for them to be. That happens too and she will have to learn to live with it.

"I see, but still... the assistant? Are you absolutely sure of your decision?"

"Yes, I am, just give me a chance. I was an assistant to Mr. Stark. I can handle everything you give me."

"I'm aware of that, but not that you will run away from me for a better position. Welcome to our company, Virginia," he said, reaching out to shake with her hand. Pepper did the same, trying not to make a face as he said her name. She decided she had to get rid of everything connected with Tony and Peter in order to be able to move on. Which wasn't quite as easy as she thought it would be, given to that she currently lived in one of the apartments they owned. It was the one they bought shortly after their mansion ended up buried at the bottom of the ocean. They didn't come here very often and she relied on it. She just needed a temporary place before she could find something of her own.

"Thank you, Mr. Anderson."

"We look forward to seeing you on Monday," he said, saying goodbye to her and he escorted her out of the office. It wasn't that she was extra happy with the job, but she knew she would eventually get used to it.

She got in the car, which, thank God, she was buying herself back at the time, so she didn't have to change it for a new one now, and pulled the phone out of her purse. Little by little, she managed to get rid of the things that connected her with her family, but if she couldn't do something, it was not to read Peter's messages. She was surprised that he wrote to her every day. At first, in every message, he begged her to come back home, just as Tony had done it multiple times. But then he wrote to her just what was going on in his life, and only occasionally wrote down the question of whether she would return. It broke her heart. With each new message, with each new word, she felt more guilty. Her heart was broken into several pieces, which broke into other pieces each time she was reading Peter's messages.

Today a photo of sleeping Tony in the workshop with his head on the table was waiting for her. Peter found him in the morning before he went to school and tears welled up in her eyes. She didn't have to think too long to realize he wasn't sleeping again and spending nights in the workshop. But when he and Mary get back together, everything will definitely turn for the better again. Well, at least for them.

She locked the phone and put it back in her purse. She sat in the car in silence for a moment, waiting for her need to cry to pass. She had to be calm for the ride. Eventually, it took her about five minutes to calm down. She turned on the radio and, accompanied by tones from Angus Young's guitar, headed to her temporary home.