Chapter 2: Back Home

"Time to go, Sam." I was startled out of my thoughts by my dad's voice. I looked up and found him standing at the doorway, with worried eyes. "Are you okay, honey?"

"Yeah." I hurriedly said and got up from the bed to keep the photo I had been holding in my suitcase, which was still on the floor.

"I'll be downstairs then." He then backed out of the doorway.

Today, I was finally going back home. After four years of stubbornness, grandma had finally given in for us to hire a caregiver. I could remember when Dad brought up the idea three years ago. She had been against it, saying he or she could murder her in her sleep. She can be a little bit paranoid.

She also didn't think it right to have a stranger in late grandpa's home like that.

I guess she loves him so much and still missed him. So she does all she can to honor his memory. In my three years of living here with her, I realized that whenever we talked about grandpa, she would have this sad look on her face, and her eyes would tear up. Since then, I tried as much as possible to not bring him up.

Zipping my suitcase, I wheeled it out of my room before closing the door shut. It would be the new care giver's room because there were only two bedrooms in the small house. My grandma loved how small her house was. She believed it to be comfier than a big mansion. So when she and grandpa wanted to pick a home, even though they had enough money, they still went for this two-bedroom flat with a kitchen, dining room, and a sitting room.

I walked down the stairs and found my grandma sitting on the sofa and having a chat with my dad. 

 She then gives him a peck on the cheek before his attention turns to the caregiver. She was standing behind grandma with her pink suitcase beside her. 

 Her name was Florence, and she was a nurse. But now, she would be taking care of grandma full time.

She was a tall blonde with pale blue eyes and an oval-shaped face. She had on her nurse uniform, which stopped a few inches above her knee.

 Dad said a few things to her before noticing my presence and smiled at me.

"I'll be in the car. Need my help with that?" He indicated to my suitcase. I quickly nodded as it wasn't light to carry and handed it over to him before he left through the front door.

"My honey bear is finally leaving me all alone in this lonely house," Grandma said as I walked over to her. Her sharp blue eyes fixed on me with a crooked smile painting her lips and directed at me. Her gray hair was cut short, and she had on her favorite cream-colored sweater and long black flay skirt on.

"Come on grandma, Florence is here." I squatted in front of her and held her wrinkled hands.

"It's not the same as you," I remembered when she even agreed to have a caregiver, she was still picky. 

 She only gave in because Florence was recommended by a friend.

"Take good care of yourself, my love. And make sure to call and visit often."

"I will, grandma." I then stood up and kissed her cheek before turning to Florence and gave her the keys to my former bedroom, since it would be hers now. I headed straight for the door when I heard grandma say,

"And tell that brother of yours to come to visit sometime."

"I will, grandma. "And with that, I closed the door and walk down the steps, then to my dad's car. He was already in the driver's seat. I settled into the passenger's seat, and he started the car, ready to go.

"You ready?" He asked, looking at me.

"Yeah, let's go." And with that, we went on our way. I released my hair from its ponytail as I liked the breeze to blow through my hair. Then I took out my phone and realized I had tons of messages from Jax and my friend, Anna. Anna also lived in my grandma's town and went to the same high school I did. But now I'm in my senior year, and I'm going to spend that at home. With Ryan...