Chapter 35: Shattered

As soon as s I parked the car in The Adams driveway, I dashed for the door with the cookie jar filled with wrapped up brownies in one hand and my phone in the other.

I only had to ring the doorbell twice before Lauren came and open the door.

“Hi, Lauren.” I cheerfully greeted her while she stared at me with a hint of surprise evident on her face.

“Sam...come in.” She opened the door wider for me, but something seemed off about her expression.

I walked in and found Kira in the living room, drawing away on her sketch pad as she kneeled on the floor.

“Sammy!” She smiled up at me excitedly when she noticed me.

“Hey, what are you drawing?” I asked, walking over to her and inspecting her drawing. It was of an elephant.

“It’s for school.” She explained. “What have you got there?” She pointed to my cookie jar.

“Brownies. Want some?” I brought out a wrap for her.

“Yay!” She squealed.

After you’re done with your homework.” Lauren sternly said, taking it from me and leaving Kira to pout.

“Does Ryan know you were coming?” Lauren, all of a sudden, asked.

“Not really. I was supposed to come earlier, but I had something else to do.” I explained. She was acting strange. Usually, she was always very thrilled whenever I visited Ryan, but she didn’t look so happy about it now. Had I done something wrong?

“Oh...” She slowly nodded. “Well, he’s upstairs.” She smiled before walking to the kitchen, but it seemed forced.

Shaking my head, I headed for the stairways. Maybe I was just overthinking it all. Lauren adored me, and if I had done anything wrong, she would have told me.

Hurrying towards Ryan’s room, I reached for the doorknob and twisted it open without bothering to knock.

“Ryan, I’m so sorry for...” I started to apologize but stopped dead in my tracks when I saw the sight that awaited me.

Ryan was in bed as I expected, but what took me by surprise was a particularly annoying blond cradling his head on her lap and brushing through his messy tangles with her fingers like it was the most natural thing to do.

And guess who the bitch was, Jenny. Lately, that name popped up everywhere I go, and it so infuriated me.

Ryan instantly stood up when he saw me as if he knew what he had been doing was wrong while Jenny sent me a confident smirk from behind him.

“Sam!” Ryan had a huge smile on his face, looking excited and surprised to see me, but I wasn’t in any way the former. I was so irritated by how she always showed up whenever Ryan and I were together, or how she acted all nice when he was around but a total bitch when he wasn’t.

“I’ve been calling you all afternoon. Is everything alright?” He furrowed his eyebrows at me when he realized the huge scowl on my face.

I can’t believe he thought I would be okay with what I just saw and get over it like I always did. Well, no more.

I took a step further into the room, my eyes blazing in anger as I glowered at the slut behind him.

“I should go,” Jenny spoke up suddenly in a smooth delicate voice as she made a move to leave. She smiled one last time at him and returned it while I stood and watched the whole show with my dist clenched real tight around the jar. She was about to walk past me, her innocent facade gone and replaced with an evil smirk, but I stopped her.