Chapter 29: Confessions

We both finally arrived at Ryan’s house and were welcomed by an exhilarated Kira who wouldn’t stop asking me questions. I find her cute and all, but she can be a little bit annoying when she doesn’t let me finish answering a question before asking another.

“Will you be visiting more often?” She had asked, walking three steps ahead of us but slightly turned to us, not looking where she was going.

“Maybe. Depends...” I looked briefly at Ryan, who hadn’t let go of my hand.

“You should. You’ll love it here. We could watch Tv together...do some scrapbooking..go swimming..paint our nails..you know, girls stuff. You could even teach me how to ride a bike since captain here is too busy to.” She gestures to Ryan while he rolled his eyes at her. I didn’t even know we were inside already since she wouldn’t shut up.

“Do you have a boyfriend?” She suddenly asks again.

“Uh...” I didn’t know if I was ready to let Ryan know Trevor and I aren’t together, but what’s the use of lying? He’s going to find out anyway. “Not really...”

“So...are you saying you two are not a thing?” She gestures to Ryan and me.

I could feel Ryan’s stare on my face, probably wanting to hear what I would say. I don’t even know what we are. In the car, we talked and acted like everything was okay. He told some jokes about his friends, never letting go of my hand, occasionally bringing it to his lips to place a kiss on it. I had to stop myself every time from sighing in delight.

But really, what are we? It would be nice to hear him say he loves me, but he hasn’t. I don’t know. Maybe I’m pushing too far. Baby steps. He just started opening up to me, so that’s a good start.

“Stop bothering dear Sam with your endless questions, Kira.” Lauren gracefully walked down the stairs with soft steps, and as always, looking elegant.

“I was just curious.” Kira defended herself.

“You always are.” Lauren smiled before walking up to me to hug me.

“Hi, Lauren.” I hugged her back with one hand since Ryan still wouldn’t let go of my hand.

“Hey, dear.” She smiled at me before placing a peck on Ryan’s forehead.

“How’s your mum.”

“Not happy you didn’t invite her.” I shrugged, making her laugh as she led us to the dining that had already been set.

“We always see at weekends.”

“I told her that. What of Mr. Adams?” Ryan helped with my seat before taking one beside me while Lauren sat opposite us with Kira beside her.

“He’s late as always.” She sighed before sipping from her drink. “Sometimes, it feels like I’m a divorcee with two kids.

“My dad is rarely home too. I don’t think mum is too happy about it too.” We started to eat and made small talks. Kira butted in sometimes while Ryan was mostly silent but holding my hand all through under the table.

“That reminds me.” Lauren placed her elbow on the table and intertwined her fingers under her chin. “Next week is Ryan’s birthday. Of course, you know that, right?”

“Yeah. Friday.” I answered. I did remember. How could I forget? Even when at my grandmother’s, I still remembered the date and always baked chocolate cookies that day to remind me of him.

“Mum...” Ryan tried to warn her, but she shushed him.

“He’s turning nineteen and still doesn’t want to have a party.” She rolled her eyes. I know Ryan doesn’t take his birthdays seriously. He thinks of it as any other day and doesn’t do anything special. I thought he would have changed that mentality, but I guess he hasn’t.