Chapter 10: You Might End Up Drunk

On Monday, Alex was generous enough to pick me up for school, which I was grateful for as I didn’t like mum or dad dropping me off. It made me look like I was still twelve.

Why was my birthday so far? I needed that car. I couldn’t keep depending on Alex and taking the bus, I hated the bus. But my birthday was in December, and it was just September. Three more months to go.

We were extra early to school today, and the parking lot wasn’t filled yet, but I saw Ryan with his buddies already there.

They all were leaning on their cars and cracking jokes, but Ryan looked bored like always while raking his hand through his thick dark hair. He noticed me as I hopped down the car with Alex, but he ignored me like always, brushing me off like I didn’t exist.

And that was the guy I wanted to say 'thank you' to? Of course, he ignored me and acted like Saturday night never happen. Why was he so annoying?

Alex and I both met Jane at the school entrance, and together we walked to our locker. I had English now, but they both had Physics, so I was gonna be on my own.

“Later, Sam.” Jane waved as both she and Alex walked off while I sent a smile her way.

I proceeded to my class, smiling at some familiar faces as I walked down the hallway. I had made some friends other than Alex and Jane.

The hallway wasn’t packed yet, but there were still some kids moving about. I was scrolling through some old pictures on my phone when all of a sudden, a hand grabbed me out of nowhere and pulled me into the janitor’s closet.

I wanted to scream my lungs out, not knowing if I was being kidnapped or something like that, but a hand slammed over my mouth, and I was pushed up against the wall with an arm over my chest to keep me there.

“Hey, it’s just me, no need to panic.” My captor shushed me.

My eyes trailed up, and imagine my surprise when I saw blondie in front of me. I couldn’t, not panic. I screamed out loud behind his hand, making him cringe. Oh my God! Was he here to finish what he started?!

“Please, just shut up! I’m not going to hurt you, I just wanna talk. Will you be quiet if I remove my hand?” I calmed down a bit and nodded, but I was still on alert and ready to attack if he tried anything.

He removed his palm from my mouth slowly and then backed up a bit, creating space between us.

“What do you want, and why did you drag me into this closet?” I almost yelled at him, my breath coming out in pants as he tried to shush me again.

“Listen, I just want to apologize for what happened at the party. When I woke up yesterday and remembered what I did, I felt so guilty and wanted to punch myself. I acted like a jerk, and I’m sorry. I have never done anything like that before, and I never would. I guess I was so drunk I didn’t get myself.” He quickly explained while I kept staring at him, unsure whether to believe him or not.

“Look, I just wanted to say I was sorry, that’s all.” He did look sincere.

“It still doesn’t explain why you dragged me into this closet. You could’ve just told me outside, in the hallway, like any normal person.” I folded my arms across my chest and rested my back on the wall, trying to act tough and not wanting him to see I had been really scared.

“Yeah...well...I don’t think I could handle a beating from Ryan. I’m no match for him.” His cheeks reddened a little bit as he rubbed behind his neck. What did he mean by that? Was it because Ryan told him to back off when he asked me out?

“We cool, right?” He asked with hope-filled eyes. I wasn’t exactly cool with him, but I didn’t want to remain in this closet with him, so I nodded my head and forced a little smile out.