Chapter 26: An Unusual Breakup

“Sweetie, Alex’s here to pick you up.” I heard my mum yell from downstairs while I was still busy taming the tangles in my hair. Oh, so the traitor’s here to atone for her sins.

I still remembered how she betrayed me yesterday with her lies. So I’m going to give her the silent treatment.

“You’re not done yet?” My mum asked as she waltzed into my room, already dressed for work.

I’m just done showering and was still wrapped in my towel while I fought with the tangles in my hair.

I hadn’t been able to quickly sleep last night since my thoughts were occupied with a particular pair of warm brown eyes and to top it off, I forgot to set my alarm making me wake up late.

“I’m almost done.” I put down my brush and dashed to my closet, looking for what to wear.

“Honey, at this rate you won’t be able to eat breakfast.” She fisted her hands on her hip and had a displeased look on her face. She hated it when we miss a meal.

“I know, I know. I just woke up a little bit late.” I found a pink top and black jean pants and hurried to start putting them on.

She huffed and walked out while I hopped on one leg trying to force the jean up.

Ten minutes later, I was running down the stairs like a madwoman and yelling goodbye to my mum before bolting out the door.

“Well, you certainly look pretty today.” Alex’s tone was mixed with sarcasm as I entered her car. Jane was at the passenger’s seat, and she sent a smile my way.

“I’m not talking to you.” I rested my elbows on both headrests of the front seats and refused to look at Alex. “Hi Jane, how’re you this lovely morning?” I turned to Jane with a smile while she shook her head at both of us and drank from her water bottle.

“Is this about yesterday? I did it for your own good.” Alex started to drive while I rolled my eyes at her but didn’t look or say anything.

“Oh yeah, I heard what happened yesterday. Are you guys officially a couple?!” Jane squealed with a big smile splitting across her face.

I leaned back in my seat and folded my arms across my chest. My playful attitude was gone, and my worries back on my shoulder.

“Hey kid, what’s wrong?” I looked up to see Alex looking at me through the rearview mirror with her eyebrows furrowed, while Jane turned to stare at me with worry painting her face.

“Did you guys have a fight.” Jane cocked her head at me, and I shook my head no.

“He said he likes me, but...” I started to say, but Alex interrupted me.

“But what?“” She sighed turning her head a little bit to the side but still looking at the road.

“But I don’t know if he’s serious about it. We were once best friends, Alex. I’m thinking he still thinks of me the same and is just confused about his feelings.”

“The only person who’s confused here is you.” She stopped at a red light and turned to face me. “That boy is crazy over you. I’ve seen the way he looks at you.”

“Yeah, like how Alex stares at fried chicken,” Jane added, as the light turned to green and Alex continued to drive.

“Hey!” She glared at Jane while I giggled at the back.

“The point is, he likes you, and that’s it. Stop overthinking it already and live in the moment.” Jane ignored Alex and continued.

Maybe they both were right. Maybe, I was being a little bit paranoid. Maybe, I should just go with it.