Chapter 7: No One Like You

It was Saturday morning already, and Jaxon was all set to go back to college. I was going to miss him, though. Mum and dad had already hugged him goodbye inside, but I escorted him out to his car.

"I'm going to miss you," I whispered, watching him throw his bag into the passenger's seat.

"Going to miss you too, little sis." He gave me a tight hug and then got in his car. I watched him drive off and waved at him. Guess it would be just me now.

I went back upstairs to my room and got started on my homework; I had a ton of them. Lauren said Ryan was going to pick me up by four, so I wanted to be done before then, and maybe get a quick nap.

Mid-way through with it, I got a call from Alex.

"What's up?"

"Hey, you coming for Charlie's party tonight? What do you say I pick you up by eight." She offered but I wasn't interested.

"Nope. Not going." I declined.

"But why?! Jane isn't going; you aren't going, then who's going to come with me?!" She whined like a ten-year-old.

"I can't, Alex. I have...things to do today," I answered hesitantly. I didn't want to tell her I was going over to Ryan's.

"What things?" She sounded suspicious.

"Just things." I could still make it after leaving Ryan's place, but I just didn't want to go.

"Ugh...you're boring. Just know if anything happened to me, it's both you and Jane's fault for abandoning me." I rolled my eyes even though she couldn't see me. She was such a drama queen.

"Bye, Alex."

"Wait..." I cut the call before she could say anything else.

By 3:20, I had a long shower. By 3:40, I was already dressed in a pair of jeans and a black wrap top. By 3:55, I was biting my fingernails out of nervousness, and by 4:05, I had already changed my top five times, trying to find the perfect one. Now I was wearing a black top with three red hearts on it.
I was nervous as a girl on her first date!

Okay, just relax, Sam. He's only picking you up so that you could go over and help his mum out, that's all. Remember what Alex said, just talk it out with him, and everything's going to be okay.

But then why did my heart feel like it was about to launch out from my throat at the thought of him coming here to pick me up? It was already eight minutes after four, what was taking him so long?

I sat there for another five minutes before I heard a knock on my door, almost giving me a heart attack.

"You okay, honey?" My mum stood by the doorway, curiously staring at me, and I let out a sigh of relief.

"Yeah, I'm good." I breathed out a sigh of relief.

"Okay, then. Ryan's here already." And my heart attack was back. I tried to calm my erratic beating heart and act normal as I got up, pocket my phone, and glided towards the door. I had already told mum before about Lauren asking me to help out, and she had been cool with it.

"Are you sure you're all right?" Mum asked again, with a worried look on her face. "Your look a little bit pale."

"Yes, I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?" She doesn't look convinced, but she didn't say anything either as I followed her downstairs.

Ryan was seated leisurely in his car outside, looking as handsome as ever with his hair slightly disheveled. I felt goosebumps crawl up my arm, and my palm became sweaty just by looking at him. My mum followed me out, offering him a smile.