[05] Friendly Neighborhood Cat Lady

The vast blue sky was dotted with stars as night had tightened its hold over Gotham city. Isadora stood in the balcony, her arms crossed at the railings as she leaned against it, looking down at the intricate network of streets and alleys spread below.

A cool breeze was blowing and she cherished the tranquility of the moment for it was a feeling she had craved for long, her brown hair flowing gently behind her.

Back with her parents in Bludhaven, she had never felt a calm of that sort. Persistent arguments and accusations had always bothered her and even after their divorce things hadn't gotten any better.

But now that she was away from them she finally felt free and at ease. Along with the fact that one of her long held dreams had come true and she was actually running a coffee shop with her brother, life felt much better in Gotham than it ever had in Bludhaven.

A slight smile broke out on her face as she recalled that day's antics. After tricking Tim, the helpless coffeeholic, into accepting a challenge that kept him away from coffee for a long time, a lot of hilarious hazards had ensued at the shop.

First they had caught him bribing students to do their homework if they sneaked out some coffee for him. Then when that had failed, he had resorted to flirting his way out of the challenge or so it seemed to Steph but that failed too.

Her smile widened recalling the adorably disappointed expression on Tim's face when he had realized that all his methods were failing and there was absolutely no other way to get coffee from that shop.

Then rather tired and frustrated, he had finally given up after two hours, storming out of the coffee shop saying that if he crashed on his way back to the Manor, they would be responsible for his untimely death and his ghost would haunt them forever and make their lives a living hell.

While she had been slightly worried for it totally looked like Tim would crash on his way back and she did not want his ghost to bother her for the rest of her life, Steph had shrugged off her concern saying that she was perfectly sure that he had called their elder brother Richard to pick him up soon as he stepped out and he would be safe so there was no need to get worried.

"Dora?"

She turned around upon hearing Alex call out for her and saw him standing in the short passage that connected both their rooms. He was wearing his overcoat and it seemed as if he was about to head out.

"Are you going somewhere?"

He dipped his head in a nod, checking the watch on his wrist, "I work night shifts at Chinatown. Their food street runs until morning."

"Oh."

"I'll be locking the whole shop as well the backdoor but the passage to the kitchen will be open just in case you need anything. I'll leave the balcony's key with you," he elaborated, fishing out the keys from his pocket and giving one of it to her, "here, lock this grill before you go to bed, make sure the windows are secured and don't open up for anyone."

There was a concerned edge in his tone which she had noticed so she asked, "is anything the matter, Alex?"

"Well... Gotham isn't a very safe place at night. The crime rate here is really high," he remarked.

She shook her head, "it was no different in Bludhaven either, I'll be fine."

"I know you'll be fine by yourself but it's always better to take the necessary precautions."

"Yeah, I understand," she smiled reassuringly at him, "I'll be careful, don't worry."

He joined her in the balcony, gently holding her shoulder as he turned her and pointed to the apartment in front, "see that balcony over there? It belongs to Miss Kyle's apartment. If anything goes wrong in my absence or if anyone tries to break in or you get in trouble, call for her. I've told her about you so she'll know and come to your help."

"Sure thing. Don't worry the need won't arise."

"Hopefully," he nodded, "I'll be back before morning though. But you don't stay up too late, okay? We have an early start at the shop tomorrow too and I don't want you to be dozing off at that time so make sure you get a proper night's sleep."

"Alex, you're such a Mom sometimes," she remarked playfully.

"Well someone in the family had to be one for you, baby sister."

His reply though lightly spoken had a string of memories attached to it and Dora looked up at him fondly, "thank you. You're the best brother I could ever wish for."

"Hey, don't flatter me," he added, smiling as he backed off towards the door, "I've got to leave. Take care of yourself."

"Of course."

"Guess it's farewell for now at least. And I don't want to see you awake when I come back."

"Bye," she waved a little, watching him leave as he carefully locked the doors and descended the stairs.

After he was gone, she decided to stay for a while longer in the balcony for the weather was pleasant and she wanted to savor it gully before going to bed. Her gaze flickered to the apartment Alex had pointed out and she saw that a woman with short shoulder length hair and sparkling green eyes was tending to her cats in the balcony.

Looking up, their eyes connected and Dora couldn't help but think how much her eyes were like a cat's and seemed to glow in the dark. A smile crept on the woman's features as she straightened and came to the railings, "hello Dora."

"Miss Kyle," she nodded in acknowledgement.

"You can call me Selina," she remarked, "your brother had told me you were coming to stay with him. And he would have also told you not to hesitate to ask for any help?"

Isadora smiled politely, "yes he did, thank you."

She shook her head and her smile widened, "good neighbors always look after one another. There's no need to say thank you."

Isadora nodded watching as she had bent down to lift one of her cats, it had deep black fur and sparkly green eyes that looked just like her own.

Selina smiled at her as she spoke, "all you have to do is call me if anything goes wrong. But it has gotten really late so I would suggest you to close the grill and go to bed. I bet you have an early start tomorrow."

Alex's words echoed in her ears as well so she nodded, "of course. Good night, Selina."

"Good night, child. I'll leave Marjorie here to keep watch," she placed her cat down and it seemed as if the animal had understood her as it perched up on the railings alert like a guard, the stance making Isadora laugh a little.

"Good night, Marjorie," she whispered before finally stepping back and closing the grill. Selina too had retreated inside but her cat Marjorie was still there, dutifully keeping watch over both the balconies.

***