[35] The Weirdest Family In Gotham

Stephanie was one of the earliest people to come to Dora's Coffee Haunt for that entire week since her classes had shifted in the evening schedule. But that day she came without Tim which wasn't surprising to Dora considering that he had been injured on patrol just last night.

But Stephanie wasn't aware that she knew so she had thought of a couple rather convincing excuses to give in order to validate Timmy's unexpected absence.

"You won't believe what happened yesterday," as usual she was the first to initiate the conversation soon as she stepped up to the counter, "Timmy got into a mess again."

"What happened?"

"The poor bloke was so low on caffeine that he was practically blinded and he fell down the entire flight of stairs!" Steph was a rather proficient actress as she had managed just the right amount of concern and pity in her tone and facial expressions.

Dora realized that she was making up an excuse because she didn't know that Tim had come there as Red Robin so she too had to go along with it, "oh no..."

Steph's green eyes flickered suspiciously as if she had expected her reaction to be more but she shrugged, "and as a cherry on top, he broke his jaw."

"That's terrible," Dora remarked, that once her eyes actually softening in sympathy, "how's he now?"

"His head is all wound up in bandages to keep the jaw in place until it is fully healed and he's taking a break from all of us," she replied, "frankly speaking, Wayne Manor has never been that quiet because almost every minute we can hear Tim whining about all the troubles he has in his life. But now that he can't speak, no more whining can be heard."

"Poor him," Dora mumbled turning to the customers who had just come in and jotted down their orders, "I'll just be back in a minute, Steph."

When she came back, Steph had two more orders lined up so the two had to deal with them first. Later she spoke, "how's Alex though?"

"Much better," Dora replied, "he's rejoining his nightly duties from tonight."

"Too soon?"

"He says he'll get fired if he doesn't."

"Good for him then. Don't let him go."

"Without all the pay," she emphasized, "and that would be worse knowing that he went through all this crap for nothing."

"Oh... That's mean."

"That's what you get when you work at disreputable places so... Al kinda brought it upon himself."

A short while passed in silence which was as usual broken by Steph because she couldn't stay quiet for long, "hey do you have the evening free?"

Dora was a bit surprised at the question, "after the shop hours, yeah."

"Why don't you come at our place tonight? The whole family's dying to meet you," a bright smile had spread across her features, "I mean except Damian of course that kid would rather die than socialize..."

"Damian sounds like a very interesting person."

"He's not. Don't expect anything from him, you'll be heavily disappointed."

She brought back the orders from the kitchen then turning to Steph she added, "I talked to Alex and he agreed so I'm in."

"Great," Steph's smile widened, "and that way you'll get to see Tim as well."

"His mood would improve for sure."

"Of course," she nodded, her green eyes glistening with a fond look, "he's a very different person around you."