[40] A Little Dose Of Fear

Selina's place spoke of destruction as the green gas began to clear away. All her cats had died of suffocation and a desolate haunting had gripped the apartment. Red Robin dropped in through the back door that was ajar and the disgusting fumes were escaping from there.

He held his breath as he looked around but there was no sign of Selina Kyle. He could clearly see that it was a case of abduction and judging by the usage of gas as a weapon, he too could associate it to the Scarecrow. 

But his eyes got caught by a familiar looking cell phone dropped in a corner and as he bent down to pick it up, his face went ashen. The lock screen displayed a picture him and Dora at Amusement Mile and it confirmed his doubts that it was indeed Dora's phone. And that could only mean that she too had been there when the whole abduction happened.

In a panic, Red Robin rushed out, climbing up to the balcony of the Beaumont's place. "Dora," he called through the grill that was locked but there came no answer, "Dora, are you in there?"

But all he was met with was silence deepening his suspicions that she too had been taken by the Scarecrow along with Selina.

"Shit..." His mind had started to blank out but he knew he had to act fast or else it could be dangerous for both taken hostage. He connected with Oracle immediately because in panicking times, only Barbara could guide them well.

"Red Robin," her voice sounded from the other side of his comm attached in the cowl, "what happened?"

"Selina and Dora have been taken by the Scarecrow," the words poured out of him in a frantic rush as he explained the situation.

"I will try tracking her out and I'm sending the Huntress for help as well. She has been working on a case regarding Scarecrow along with Catwoman so she would know."

"Inform Batman. He should know."

Oracle understood immediately why Selina had been abducted and connected with Helena soon as the connection with Red Robin terminated, in order to check whether she was safe or not. Much to her relief, Helena picked up.

"Catwoman has been taken by Crane," she spoke up before Helena, "Red Robin fond her place in shambles and traces of some new kind of gas were present."

"Oh, I'm coming straight away."

"There's another problem. Dora was with her at the moment she got taken and Red Robin is convinced that she got abducted as well."

"Damn it."

"He's waiting for you at Catwoman's place," Oracle instructed, "I will try connecting with Nightwing and the others to see if they have spotted any upheaval. I've already sent a message to Batman and he will join you. You and Red Robin are to go at every single hideout you had located and marked. And don't avoid ACE chemicals. In fact, start from there."

"Right. But Alexander..."

"Red Hood will handle him. You must leave right now."

Helena's eyes flickered towards Alex who was at the counter serving drinks. She thought whether or not to tell him but decided against because at the moment Dora and Selina could be in danger and if Alex came to  know of it, he might panic.

She left the Lounge immediately, heading straight for Selina's place where Red Robin was waiting for her.

***

Isadora struggled to open her eyes and could not even move since she was was strapped tightly to a stretcher. She could hear voices and as she focused the sounds got clear as if people were conversing rather close. She could differentiate two voices, one deep and the other scratchy and spine chilling.