[32] Advice From The Cat

Selina brought out two cups of tea for herself and her friend waiting in the living room. Helena had come to visit her and was currently playing with the many cats that Selina hoarded.

"Thanks," Helena smiled as she took the cup.

"So what's been up lately?" Selina asked as she took her seat beside her on the couch.

She sighed wearily, "nothing much but then if you look at the other side, a lot has happened in these few months."

Her sharp eyes shifted in curiosity, "really?"

"Really," Helena took in a deep breath considering how to start with all she had to say, "I've fallen into a mess. Remember I told you about the new bartender at the Iceberg Lounge?"

"Yeah..."

"He's your neighbor Alexander, the one who runs Dora's Coffee Haunt."

"Oh, I hadn't known Alex would apply for a job there."

"He did and it has been a few months since he has been working there part time. He has a contract and all but two nights ago he got into a very rough situation. He got beaten up for apparently listening in on a conversation."

Sympathy flickered in her eyes, "oh that's a pity. He's such a nice lad though. Really polite and helpful."

"Yeah... Not Iceberg Lounge material."

"Certainly," Selina nodded but she was closely observing the flicker of emotions on her friend's face as she talked about Alex. She could sense that there was something more than just concern behind Helena's words.

"Me and Jason came to drop him off and that's when I noticed that you two are neighbors."

Selina smiled encouraging her to resume.

"Well Selina... The thing is... I have begun to like Alexander," the words finally escaped her mouth and she looked down, biting her lip for she was unsure of how her friend would react.

A wide smile broke out on her face though as she remarked, "oh so that's what has been keeping you up at nights, Len. Alexander... That's great. What about him?"

"Here's the trouble. I like him and he likes me back."

"What trouble? If he likes you back then that's a good thing, right?"

She shook her head, "Selina, I live a dangerous life and Alexander is not the sort of person who would be able to cope with it. I don't want to drag him into the mess that I am accustomed to because he deserves so much better than this."

She placed down the cup on the table and gently took her hands in a soft grip, "but if he really likes you back, pushing him away would be unfair."

"I know," Helena turned towards her, the conflict evident on her features, "I have never felt like this before. Even with Jason there was no desire of coming close to him, what we had was just a physical connection. But with Alexander... I can't get him out of my mind."

She had dropped her head on her hands and the smile flickering on Selina's face turned into a look of understanding. "I had never thought I would see you like that."

"Neither had I," she admitted truthfully, "at first I thought I was just attracted towards him and it would go away with time. But... But I don't want to chase him like all the men I have been with before. I want him to stay."

"You've gotten your answer yourself," Selina spoke in a gentle tone because she knew she was confused and needed her genuine support, "let him stay with you."

Helena was considering her words, "but what if he gets hurt?"

"He's already gotten hurt enough but has he backed off? No. Give yourself a chance, Helena. Don't push him out. And of course you will keep him from getting hurt the best you can, I know you. He'll be much safer with you."

She could see that Selina was right. It wasn't necessary to push Alex away to keep him safe. Instead she could stay herself and make sure he didn't come to any harm.

"Helena, I can clearly see that you're in love with him. And love doesn't happen often, that sort of connection can not be regained if it is lost once," she explained gently, "for instance, look at me and Bruce. We have had our ups and downs, we have been together as well as against each other but the connection I have with him can not be replicated with anyone else. I won't give him up for anything because I know it would be foolish to do so."

Helena was pondering over her words and realizing that she was indeed right, "so what should I do?"

"Take the first step," Selina resumed, squeezing her hand in reassurance, "I know Alex is a little shy and maybe he's waiting for you to come to terms with your own conflict. You seemed really sure that he likes you back then what's there to lose? A little risk has to be taken for everything."

She nodded, "he gave me a confession but I didn't want to accept it."

"He confessed?"

"Yeah... That night when he was beaten up and I was staying with him while he had gotten treated, he pretty much conveyed that he too feels the same. But I ruined the moment and walked away."

"Oh..."

"He must have been hurt at that," her voice had lowered recalling his bruised features and his hand reaching out towards her, "I've been so stupid, haven't I?"

Selina shook her head, "not really. You did what you thought was best for him. You tried to protect him in your own way. That's not stupid, that was just your heart caring for him deep inside."

Helena remained silent but was thinking over the while conversation, deciding what to do next.

"You'll have to approach him first and I am certain that he will never push you away," Selina reassured her, "I know you two would be very happy together. You just have to move on from your fears and accept him first."

She nodded and let out the breath she was holding, "you're right... Thank you so much for hearing me out and helping me."

Selina smiled, "good friends are always there for one another. But the whole gratitude will be repaid only if you follow my advice."

"Right."

"Because I not only want your betterment but I also want Alex to be happy. He does such a lot for everyone, it's about time someone gave him love too."

A slight red shade crept over Helena's face which took Selina by surprise as she chuckled. 

"You're so deeply in love with him, Len... It's both unbelievable and adorable at the same time."

She smiled as well, "it was unbelievable for me too."

"Promise me that you'll not push him away and please don't torment the poor boy any longer. Let him in, trust me that's best for you both."

She nodded, "I promise."

***