[24] The Troubles Of Being Shy

To say that Timothy Drake was merely nervous would be an understatement. He could think of multiple scenarios that could go wrong that day and by every passing minute, he was growing slightly more convinced that he should simply back off from the whole ordeal.

But it could not be possible as long as Stephanie was on his watch. And judging by how excited she had been, he knew she would murder him if he backed out at the last minute.

On the way to the coffee shop, the pessimistic side of his brain kicked in with full force assuring him that it would not be a new thing for him to get rejected and that he should get used to it by then.

Such dreadful thoughts occupied his brain as he reluctantly pushed open the door and stepped inside, flinching slightly as the bell chimed. Dora was behind the counter as usual, taking orders from the customers lined up.

It was not a very busy time for the shop but still a considerable number of people were there.

Steph gave him a reassuring look because all the convincing laid on her shoulders. She went over to Dora who greeted her with a bright smile. 

"Hey Tim, deal with the customers for some time, will you?" Steph remarked and grabbing Dora's hand, she took her to the kitchen.

"What's the matter, Steph?" Dora asked and even Alex turned from the latte art he was doing.

"Hey, don't leave the counter empty."

"Don't worry Al, Tim's there for the time being," Steph spoke up, "the thing is I had an idea that it's been a month since Dora came here but she hasn't yet seen the city fully. Partially because she couldn't get the time to do so. Hence we decided to take her out on a sightseeing trip."

"That sounds like a great idea," Alex nodded smiling a little.

"And since you would be needing someone to take the orders instead of Dora, I will stay here." Turning to Dora she asked, "Tim happens to be a much better guide for the city as compared to me. I would bore you by just holing you up in one of my favorite places because I'm too lazy to step foot out of it. But Tim will show you around just fine."

Dora seemed to have understood the situation really well and the dots between Jay's words and the current scenario began to match up in her head. "That's very sweet of you both but Alex..."

"I have no objections," Alex spoke up, "in fact I'm sorry I couldn't show you around myself. But it's great that Steph came up with the idea."

"Hey that's what friends are for, right? You couldn't show her around because you've been busy, no worries we're here to take up the task."

Alex smiled, taking the orders out, "have fun, Dora."

"Now chop chop, Timmy's waiting," Steph dragged her up to the stairs that led to her room. 

As the two reached the upper portion and Alex was out of hearing, Dora spoke up, "why do I get the feeling you and Tim are up to something again?"

"Because we totally are," Steph had a knowing smile on her face, "Dora, my little coffeeholic friend is dead gone for you."

"Wait, what?"

"Timmy has a crush on you, in fact he does like you a lot but just won't say it because he's a little shy," she elaborated, "and I know very well that it is not one sided."

Her cheeks turned pink, "well... He's adorable."

"Awww, that's the first time anyone has called him that. You should tell him, he'll be surprised I bet."

"But if he really wants to take me out on a date which you have so cleverly disguised as a sightseeing trip, don't you think he should ask me himself?"

She thought for a while then nodded, "fair enough. I'll talk to him then and he will ask you out himself."

"Good," she nodded, "oh and before you go, I might need some help in deciding what to wear today."

Stephanie happily picked out a dress for her and then descended the stairs to tell Tim of the recent development.

When she told Tim that he had to ask her out, his nervousness increased, "but what if I stutter?"

"It doesn't matter. She will definitely go out with you, all you have to do is ask."

"But how?"

Steph shook her head, "if you're going to take my advice, go find a flower then come back, drop on one knee and ask her out."

His eyes flickered in alarm, "in front of everyone?"

"Of course, silly."

"I... I might not be able to do that," he spoke up, fingers running through his hair out of habit whenever he got nervous, "it sounds such a lot like a proposal and I... I would freak out."

Stephanie shoved him in the ribs and he almost cried out in pain.

"Ow, it's not fully healed yet and you know that," he winced.

"But you deserve it for being such a scaredy cat, Timmy," she snapped back, "either you ask her out right now or I will beat you up with a floor mop."

"Hey!"

"Don't threaten him, Steph." 

They turned around to see Dora who had come down, she looked pretty as always with her hair held in a loose half ponytail, she was dressed in a floral top and a knee length skirt while a small bag and a camera was dangling from her arm. 

She came to the counter, looking at Tim expectantly, "I'm sure you aren't that shy to get all flustered while asking someone out."

"Uh... Well... Depends on the situation really," he mumbled.

Stephanie left the two to tend to the customers lining up for the orders but her concentration had not wavered from them as she was still listening closely.

Knowing that he should ask her then and there instead of delaying it further, he finally spoke up, "Dora, would you do me the honor of being your tour guide today?"

"Sure," she smiled, "that's it? Just a tour guide?"

"I mean... Like a date? If you want to, that is," he looked adorable with his shy blue eyes and slightly reddening cheeks. 

Her smile widened and she took him by surprise as she gently clasped his hand in her own, "I would love to."

A collective Awww was heard from the people in the coffee shop which made Tim blush even more and Stephanie took her phone out to take a picture.

"Let's have this one as a reminder," she said, clicking the picture, "because no one at home is going to believe Timmy asked Dora out himself."

"So which place do you reckon we should go first?" Dora asked as the two stepped out of the coffee shop.

Tim's face had not subsided to its usual pale shade yet as the red was rather prominent on his cheeks, "do you like amusement parks?"

"I love the roller coasters," she answered, brown eyes sparkling in excitement, "and it's a plus if they have those log slides."

A small smile crept on to his face as well, "let's start from Amusement Mile then."

***