[31] An Apology And A Threat

Red Robin was dreading having to face her at the moment but an apology was due so he braced himself as perched up on the balcony, waiting for her to turn up. Soon enough she stepped into the corridor, coming up after locking the kitchen and soon as her eyes locked with his, an irate expression took over her features.

She ignored him and passed right through the grill in order to go for her room.

"Hey, Isadora, please listen to me."

"I don't listen to people who get my brother injured," she replied vaguely without even looking in his direction.

"It's not like that, please hear me out."

Sighing wearily, she came towards the grill but did not push it aside, "you have two minutes. Shoot."

"I am sorry," he spoke up, "I hadn't known it would end up so bad for Al."

"You're sorry? Do you have any idea how difficult it was for us to make Alex rest? He never takes offs, he's a hyper punctual workaholic but he was inured so bad that he had to. And do you have any idea how hard it was for us to compensate for his absence at the coffee shop. Me and my friends have worked our asses off and all you're saying is sorry?"

He had never seen her that angered before but all her rage was justified. He knew well he shouldn't have put Alex in such a critical situation. 

"I swear, Red Robin, if my brother ends up in a worse situation I will break all of your ribs with my floor mop and not have even an ounce of regret afterwards."

He gulped, leaning back, "I promise I will myself see to it that he never gets hurt again even if it means me breaking my code and stepping in Iceberg Lounge. But please, give me one more chance. I promise it won't happen again."

Her eyes scrutinized him but there weren't enough facial features visible for her to judge whether he really meant it or not, "alright. But you're not getting any coffee tonight as a punishment."

"I wasn't going to ask for either."

"Why, has your flask not gone dry again?"

He nodded, "as a matter of fact, it has but I am not that audacious to ask for any more favors after all that happened due to me."

Her features softened and she pushed back the grill at last, "and what percent caffeine are you on right now?"

"0.75% I guess?"

"Will that get you back to your headquarters or whatever place you guys use?"

"To the Bat Cave?" His lips pursed together in a slightly thoughtful look, "probably..."

A small smile broke out on her features as she gestured him to hand over the flask, "fortunately for you, I'm not that cruel."

He was surprised but handed over the flask, "you Beaumonts are too good for this city."

Her smile widened for she recalled the sentence very well and gradually all the missing puzzle pieces had stared to fit in her mind, "flattery won't get you any further favors, birdboy."

"I know. But thanks, nevertheless."

"You're welcome. Just don't put Alex in any more danger, you hear me?"

"I wouldn't dare," he held his hands up in surrender, "your floor mop hurts like hell."

A light laugh escaped her, "yeah, keep that in mind."

She locked the grill then went down to the kitchen but all the while she was getting more convinced that Red Robin was indeed Timothy Drake. And as she brewed the coffee, she added Tim's favorite flavor into it, making it a bit stronger version of Cappuccino.

After it was done, she poured it into the flask and clearing up the workplace she switched off the lights and ascended the stars that led to the upper portion of the shop.

He was waiting in the balcony but his vigilant eyes were scanning the cityscape through his binoculars, looking out if there was something troublesome going on underneath.

"There you go," she called, shifting aside the grill as she handed him his flask.

He smiled gratefully as he took the flask, "thanks a lot, Isadora. I owe you."

But as he took the first sip, the caffeine kicked in and though it tasted good, he realized exactly what flavor she had added.

"I thought you would just give me plain coffee?"

"Don't you like it?"

He did not know how to respond to that and his voice stuttered a little, "that's not the case, I..."

"I thought it was your favorite flavor," she remarked, her brown eyes keenly focused on him.

"Really? When did I tell you that?"

"I notice things, Red Robin, I know."

Though a sweet smile was playing on her lips as the words escaped her lips but it actually made him get worried. "You know? Uh... Right... Thanks."

She raised an eyebrow skeptically at him, the calculating expression not leaving her face for even a second, "you gotta go now? The city needs you?"

"Yeah, yeah... Definitely. Thanks once again."

Her smile had only increased at observing his flustered reaction as he placed the flask securely in his utility belt and climbed off the balcony. 

She came to stand by the railings watching his agile figure leap from one building to another as he vanished in the dark of the night. The smile from her face hadn't faltered yet as she let the cool night air caress her skin, all the while thinking about the two different shades in her boyfriend's personality.

One that he allowed her to see. Cute, nervous Timothy Drake who seemed too precious for the world, who could never hurt anyone, who fantasized about injecting caffeine directly into his bloodstream. Timothy Adorable Drake who was sweeter than any of the sweets she had tasted, and kinder at heart than most people she had known.

And the other shade of his personality was what she had figured out by herself. Daring, city savior Red Robin who fought off the dangerous villains of Gotham city, utilizing his nights to help in protecting the citizens. Red Robin who could apparently be thrown by Killer Croc like a Frisbee but would not want to face the end of her floor mop.

The key similarity between the two was their caffeine addiction. And that was exactly what had helped her in finding out that the two were one and the same.

***