Letters

Mirio Togata sat in the silence, his fingers gently sliding across the cold paper, warming the material with his own body heat. He couldn't force himself to read the final note Midoriya was going to give to him, but he also didn't want to look at the sleeping boy. Every time Mirio found himself staring at the greenette, his mind flashed back to Sir Nighteye. Soon, Mirio could only see Midoriya's corpse in the casket, and it wasn't hard to imagine the emerald eyed boy in front of him dead when he wasn't moving at all and his suicide note directed at Mirio in the hands of the blonde.

Mirio took a shaky breath, eyes sliding over to the the digital clock that flashed the time in a bright red lettering. Because he tried twice to end his life, the boy was placed underneath suicide watch, and Mirio offered to watch over him during the night shifts since he didn't have a quirk to train with Nejire and Tamaki. It was all until they could guarantee he wouldn't try again. Mirio didn't want to think about what would happen if Midoriya woke up and no one was there. Would he feel the vengeance that he wanted to enact on his father? Would he feel alone, since his mother was dead and he finally realized that his father wasn't the hero Midoriya wanted to imagine he was? Would Midoriya sob, or would he head straight for the rooftop?

Midoriya shifted in his sleep, the first move he had made since earlier that morning. He had been asleep all day, and was watched by Aizawa, who was currently out patrolling. None of 1A was allowed near Midoriya, just in case he woke up angry and confused, and his quirk activated, making him a deadly threat. Otherwise, they also weren't allowed in case Midoriya was emotional, which would scare most of them.

Mirio stared up at the dark ceiling, a tired feeling beating in sync with his heart. He wasn't sleepy, and he wasn't sure he could sleep after the events of that day, but he also didn't want to be awake, to face what was going on. Over the past few weeks, Mirio had to learn to adapt to not having a quirk, the loss of Sir Nighteye, and the vague disappearance of his dream before his eyes. He tried taking care of Eri, but a part of him couldn't help but remember her terrified face as she was strapped to Midoriya's back with Mirio's cape, fighting her abuser. Mirio was mostly out of it but the monster that Overhaul became haunted his nightmares, and the lingering phantom of Chisaki kept Eri awake in the late hours. Mirio prayed for Nejire, who was watching the girl in a neighboring room adjacent to the one Midoriya was staying in.

Mirio looked back at the letter that slid inbetween his fingers, the soft breaths of Midoriya prompting him to open the paper, to face whatever knowledge Midoriya wanted to pass on. If this was Midoriya's supposed final words to the blonde, than Mirio knew they would important, if a little heart wrenching. Mirio knew that being a hero, if that dream could ever be achieved in his current condition, would mean facing the hardships, even the emotional ones. Mirio slid open the paper, the scribble of Midoriya in red pen formulating a sentence rushing to his senses.

Mirio Togata-
I should have given you One For All. But... A part of me couldn't. You deserve it, and it would allow you to fulfill your dreams, but some part of me knows that Permeation will come back, with or without Eri's assistance. Other than my apologies for not passing the quirk to you, I must say...
One day, YOU will be the Number One hero, and the Symbol of Joy, smiling in the face of danger to show everyone that a future without happiness is no future at all. Everyone is routing for you, even me and Nighteye from the afterlife. Don't be sad about this. I wouldn't have been much competition anyways. After seeing you, the way you fight and inspire others like a bright sun, I knew that I was nothing more than a lightning bolt. Brighter than you for a second, but then I would simply echo in the minds of others.
Help Eri. Make her smile, let her be free from her past. I know firsthand how cruel humanity can be, I was quirkless before One For All, y'know? However, I learned to smile, from my hero, All Might, and she will learn to smile from her hero, Lemillion. Keep Nejire in line, and help Tamaki with his confidence. Keep UA from quitting, especially Bakugo. This may be too much to ask, but make sure that no one blames themselves. I'm doing this for a reason, but it's my fault, not anyone else's. I will be the one to jump off, no one is pushing me.
Take care... I hope you become a bright sun, Mirio. Never forget that people look up to you. If it makes my death any easier to bare, know that I also wanted to be like you, wanted to be more than a lightning bolt. However, all I do is destroy what I touch. I'll tell Nighteye you said hello.
Goodbye
Izuku Midoriya