16- Family Dinner

Alexis POV

It was Saturday morning and I was in the garage,
working on Jacks bike. It was almost done I just needed to paint it.

I heard the door of the garage open and since I was the only one in the shop, I walked back out to the reception and saw Jack.

"Hey. What are you doing here?" I asked, leaning on the counter.

"Can't I visit my girlfriend while she works?" He asked, hugging me. "And I also have something to ask you." He said.

"My parents want to meet your parents. So we were wondering if you wanted to come over for diner tonight?" He asked.

"Sure. Yea, dad and I'll be there."

"And your mum?" He asked.

"My mums in Afghanistan Jack. She's in the army" I said.

He looked to me shocked and pressed me into a hug. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to."

"It's ok." I said, snuggling into his warm chest.

"Well I have to go to the grocery store, but I'll see you tonight at six." He said, smiling and walking out the door.

****

"Dad! We're going to be late!" I called up the stairs.

"I'm coming sweetie!" He grumbled, fixing his tie as he walked down the stairs.

I was really nervous for tonight. I've only met Jacks parents once, at the school memorial thing for the crash.

I drove to the Gilinsky household and we arrived just on six.

I knocked on the door and Jack answered.

He shook my dads hand and held my hand as he lead us inside.

***

"So, Scott, have you go any other children?" Jacks asked dad.

We had just finished dinner and everyone was talking about a range of things.

"Yes, I had a son but he passed away last year." Dad said, nodding.

"Yes. We know how you feel. Our daughter died in a car crash last year. There are some reckless drivers out there." David said, shaking his head.

"And my son isn't one of them. Jimmy died in that crash because of your daughters drunk friends."

"Dad." I said, gulping as I saw the fire in his eyes.

"Excuse me Scott, but your son hit her car." David said as Jacks mom walked away.

"Only because Mia was on the wrong side of the road. Alexis, we're leaving." Dad said, standing up.

He pulled on my arm and tugged me out the door.

"Jack." I said, quietly seeing his hurt face as he followed after his mother.

We got into the car and tears started to prick my eyes.

"Dad. What was that?" I said as he gripped the steering wheel.

"That was me taking you from a situation you don't need to be stuck in." He said.

"But Jacks my boyfriend."

"And the girl that killed your brother is his older sister. I don't want you talking with that boy again." He said.

Hot tears started to spill down my cheeks and my vision was blurry.

"Dad we still go to school together. You can't keep us from each other." I said, shocking on my own words.

"Then you'll move schools. You don't know what it's like to loose a kid Alexis."

"I know what it's like to loose a brother and you can't move me now, I don't want to spend my senior year somewhere new." I cried.

"Your only young Alexis, you'll find someone else."

"Dad please." I begged as we drove into our driveway.

He stopped the car and we sat in silence, my soft sobs the only thing that could be heard.

"Do you remember when I called you at school saying that I punched a boy?" I asked turning to look at him in the darkness.

"Yes."

"That boy was Jack. I punched him because he was talking about the crash and saying that it was Jimmy's fault. Look where we are now dad. I forgave him and he realised that it wasn't all Jimmy's fault. He apologised. Something you should try more often." I said, getting out of the car and walking up my room, where I burst into tears.

***

I couldn't sleep. The hurt look on both Jack and his mothers face were imprinted into my mind.

The words that my dad and David said to each other still ringing in my ears.

After I had walked up to my room, my dad went into the garage. He usually goes there when he wants to be alone or if he's missing mum.

I quickly showered and pulled on one of Jacks tshirts. I had no idea how it got into my room because I don't think he has even been in my room before. I threw my hair in a bun and pulled on fluffy socks.

I slid back into bed and logged into my computer. I started to scroll through Tumblr and Insta but it wasn't anything that could keep my mind off the prior events.

I wanted to call or text Jack, but I my dad caught me he would probably follow his threat from before and move me to a different school.

I was glad I didn't have school tomorrow. Because I would probably spend the whole day and in bed.

I sighed and heaved myself out of bed and tiptoed down to the kitchen. I didn't really want my dad to see me in just a T-shirt and underwear. Especially Jacks T-shirt.

I poured myself a cup of water and walked back into my room.

When I saw what was in there, I jumped back, spilling water all down the front of me.

"Jack. How did you get in here?" I asked, as he tried to hold in his laughter. I shit and locked the door and walked over to him, tackling him into a hug.

"Through the window." He said, sitting down on my bed.

I went and sat in front of him and he pulled me me onto his lap.

"I'm sorry about my dad." I said as we hugged.

"Me too. But, I brought subway."