Chapter 1

"Amelia dear, are you sure that this is what you want to do?" her mother, the Queen, asked of her daughter.

"Yes, mother, it really is," Amelia said as she packed clothes into a couple of suitcases.

"We can send your brother to spy on them," her mother insisted.

Amelia looked at her mother.

"Mother, I am capable of finding out what the Argania Kingdom needs, if they truly need help, or if they just want us to give them money to line their pockets with."

"I just do not know," her mother said. "I wish there was another way around this."

Amelia sighed. "I know mother, but it will be the perfect opportunity to see what they have been up to, and to see if they really need help, or if they are trying to cause a war."

"I understand," her mother sighed. "I just wish your father could see that this plan is silly."

"He is the one who suggested it," Amelia replied. "Besides, it will be nice to act like a normal person for once, and not have to worry about dressing in stuffy dresses and act all proper."

Amelia's mother chuckled. "Yes, you always were the rebellious one. Dresses are meant to be worn by royalty."

"As you say, mother, but give me a pair of jeans and a normal shirt, and I am happy."

"Yes, of course, you are dear," her mother smiled. "Are you almost done packing?"

"I am."

"Good. Your cousin should be here at any moment to pick you up. Do you have your cover story down?"

"I do. My cousin, who is a cousin to the Queen of Argania, through her father's side, is inviting me to stay at the palace because I am on a college break."

"Do not forget you are suffering a horrible break up with your fiancé, who was cheating on you."

"Yes, how can I forget," Amelia sighed. She really had had a horrible break up. Her lousy fiancé Gerard, who had been betrothed to her at birth, was caught doing the deed with Amelia's cousin in the guest bedroom at Amelia's palace. She had no idea that he was cheating on her, but she should have seen the signs when he quit kissing her and holding her hand. Not that she loved him anyway. It was an arranged marriage, so she had actually been quite relieved to get rid of him.

His parents were still terribly embarrassed, but the law had been changed so that any prince or princess could marry who they wanted so that they wouldn't have to deal with infidelity. Amelia's fiancé had been ecstatic and had announced his engagement to Amelia's cousin just a few days after that. The worse part was that Amelia's family had been invited to the wedding that would take place in a few weeks.

Amelia was wondering how to get out of going when the opportunity of a lifetime presented itself. The Queen of Argania had called Amelia's parents, asking for help. She said that her kingdom was failing, and she needed financial support.

So, the king had come up with a plan to see if what the Queen of Argania said was true. Amelia had been told by her cousin Becky that lived in Argania, that the kingdom was suffering, but only because the royal family was taxing the people to no end. The royal family was living high on the hog while everyone else suffered, so that was why Amelia was going to see what was really going on and report back to her parents.

"You have your phone?" Amelia's mother asked her.

"Yes, mother."

"Do not forget, you are Amy Henley, a common girl, coming to see your cousin."