Chapter 24

Ashton led the royal family to the lounge, where his parents were waiting. He couldn't keep the smile off his face. Amy was a princess, and he was deeply in love with her.

He knocked on the door.

"Enter," said Ashton's mother.

He opened the door, and the royal family walked in. Ashton was glad that Serena wasn't in there, he would have made her leave.

The King and Queen were sitting in their chairs but stood when the royal family entered.

"Your Highnesses," Amelia's father said.

"King and Queen Cardston," Ashton's mother smiled fakely. "It is a pleasure to meet you."

"Likewise," Queen Cardston said. "This is our son, Drew," his father said. "Our daughter will be here tomorrow."

"Oh, yes, your daughter," the Queen said. "My son is so eager to meet her."

"Yes, I am, actually," Ashton said with a grin.

"My daughter will be pleased to hear that," Queen Cardston said with a smile.

"You came a day early, I see," the Queen said.

"Yes, we came to see what your Kingdom needed," King Cardston said. "You asked for our help, so we want to tour the city to see what you need help with."

"Yes, I will make sure that you are given that tour," the Queen said, looking sad. "Our poor people," she dabbed at her eyes. "They are suffering so, and I don't know how to help them."

"Well, for one, you could get off your lazy ass and go out and see what they need," King Cardston said bluntly. Amelia was right, these people were so fake.

The Queen of Argania gasped. "Excuse me?"

"You heard me, Queen Holland. You do not even know what your people need because you are too busy stuffing your fat self with rich meals, and spending all of the people's money on your wardrobe, which I have to say, could use some improvement," King Cardston said.

Ashton hid a chuckle. No one had ever told his parents off, especially other kings and queens, and he loved it.

"And you sir," King Cardston looked at King Holland. "Are you stupid? Deaf? What are you? You have not said a word since we came into this room."

"I am neither," the man huffed. "I just prefer my wife to talk."

"Yes, because she has your balls squeezed so tight, you can't speak for yourself." King Cardston roared. "What a pitiful family you are. There is no way in hell I am helping you. You don't look like you need help, anyway. As a matter of fact, it looks like you could sell quite a few things to help your Kingdom, starting with that hideous dress, madam," King Cardston said.

"Well, I never," the Queen huffed.

"How dare you insult my wife," King Holland said.

"Wow, he speaks," Queen Cardston chuckled, "but only to defend your horrid wife." She then turned to Ashton. "Prince Holland, I sure hope you aren't like your parents, I do not want my daughter to marry you if you are."

Ashton flushed. "No, your highness, I am not at all like my parents."

"Good to hear it," Queen Cardston smiled.

"My son is not going to marry your daughter," the Queen said. "I have decided he will wed Duchess Serena."

"Mother, we already discussed this," Ashton said. "You told me that I could meet the princess and make up my mind tomorrow if I recall?"

"Oh yes," she simpered. "I suppose I did. Not that you will marry someone you just met."

"I don't know mother, if she is as beautiful as her mother, then I just might."

Queen Cardston blushed. "Thank you, young man."

Ashton nodded at her.

"Well then," Queen Holland said. "Would you like a tour of our palace? We have the loveliest gardens, and I am sure you would like a meal? Have you eaten yet?"

King and Queen Cardston exchanged a look. The woman was strange, acting like she hadn't just been deeply insulted. "Yes, show us the way," Queen Cardston said, pasting a smile on her face. She couldn't believe that the prince was any different from his parents, but Amelia had insisted that Ashton was changing for the better, and from what it had looked like when they entered the city, a whole bunch of construction was going on in the poor end.

As Ashton opened the door, Serena was on the other side. She flushed. "Oh, your highnesses," she quickly curtsied almost falling out of her skimpy dress.

"I didn't know you ran a brothel in your palace, Queen Holland," Queen Cardston said, glaring at Serena, and making her flush.

"That is Serena, soon to be Ashton's bride," Queen Holland said.

"Mother," Ashton frowned.

"I wouldn't marry someone like that," Queen Cardston said. "She looks like she sleeps around a lot, or works as a prostitute. Why would you want your Kingdom to have a Queen like that? And are you wearing a wig?" Queen Cardston asked, snatching it off Serena's head.

Ashton bit back a laugh as Serena gasped.

"You poor child, you have cancer?" Queen Cardston said. "No wonder you dress like that, trying to get everyone's attention off of your head."

"I do not have cancer," Serena said in a whiny voice. "My shampoo made my hair fall out."

"That is nice dear," King Cardston said, hiding a chuckle. "Come love, let us go on this tour." He then looked at Ashton. "Prince Holland, would you accompany us? I am not sure that I can handle much more of your parents or that prostitute."

Ashton chuckled. "Yes, sire, of course."

"We will have lunch assembled for you when you get back," Queen Holland said. "Then we can discuss the ball. You are going to love it. We have spared no expense."

"Yes, at the taxpayers' expense," King Cardston frowned.

"Oh, they won't ever know," Queen Holland said. "Come, Serena, let us go and see how the decorations are coming along." She then walked down the hall, Serena behind her, but she looked back to see if Ashton was watching her, but he wasn't. He was headed in the opposite direction.

"I can't believe the nerve of that woman," Queen Cardston said, then looked at Ashton. "I am sorry you have such horrid parents."

"Yes, I am too," he said, "but after tomorrow, things will be different."

The Queen smiled. "Yes, they will be. Come, let us go and visit with your cousins. They seemed like a delightful group. We do not need a tour right now, as a matter of fact, this place is so horrid looking I feel as if I could go blind."

"I have to admit, my mother does not have good taste in anything," Ashton admitted. "I apologize on her behalf."

King Cardston chuckled. "Well son, all of it will change after tomorrow."

"Yes, your highness, it sure will," Ashton smiled. He liked Amelia's parents and now he knew where Amelia got her sense of humor and sarcasm from.

Drew walked behind the group, a smirk on his face. His poor sister, having to deal with those people, oh well, things were going to change for the better, and he wondered about the slutty girl. Had his sister put something in her shampoo to make her go bald? He wouldn't put it beyond her. She always was a prankster.