Chapter 16

Ashton led Amelia outside, keeping his arm about her waist, and ignoring the looks of surprise from the staff. He was sure they would gossip, and that his mother would find out, but he didn't care.

"Sire," Amelia said, as Ashton led her into a flower garden and to a gazebo. He pulled her inside and made her sit down. He could tell that she was weary.

"Yes, Amy?" he asked her.

"I was just going to ask to sit down," she blushed. "I guess I'm not up to doing much yet."

"Yes, I can see that, I am sorry I dragged you out here."

"Don't worry about it," she said, looking down at her lap, feeling nervous all of a sudden.

"Amy, what is it?" Ashton asked her, putting his hand under her chin so she would look at him.

"I just don't want to get you in trouble," Amelia said.

"I am not worried about that," he chuckled. "I am going to do what I please from now on, and that means disobeying my mother."

Amelia giggled, making Ashton smile. "I love your laugh," he admitted, stroking her face with his hand, and making her blush.

"Thank you, Ashton," she breathed out.

"And I love it when you say my name," he said huskily, then leaning forward, he caught her lips with his.

Amelia gasped but gave in to his kiss. Ashton's kiss was so incredible. No other man had kissed her the way Ashton did, not even her ex-fiancé.

She moaned slightly as Ashton deepened the kiss, and he groaned, pulling Amelia onto his lap, tightening his hold on her. She wrapped her arms around his neck and ran her fingers through his hair, loving the silkiness of it.

It was minutes later when Ashton finally pulled away. "I had better stop," he whispered, "or I am going to want to take you to my bed."

Amelia blushed at his words.

He kissed her softly. "Thank you, Amy, for making me want to be a better person."

"Thank you for being that better person," she whispered against his lips.

"I wish that things were different," Ashton said. "I would defy my parents and claim you as mine, right now, but that throne is rightfully mine, and I will not let my father give it to a cousin if I marry outside royalty, I am sorry Amy," he sighed, and pulled away, setting her off his lap. "I am falling for you, and I can't do a thing about it."

He started to get up, but she pulled him back down.

"Ashton, I want you to trust me."

"Okay," he said, confused.

"Let us see how things go in the next week and a half, okay? If you still think that you care for me, things will work out, I promise you."

"But I don't see how," he whispered, kissing her wounded forehead softly.

"They will," she promised, pulling his lips to hers and kissing him. She then pushed him away. "You probably should go see your mother before she has a heart attack."

Ashton chuckled. "Okay. Can I meet you later tonight? The garden is beautiful in the moonlight."

"Meet me here at midnight," she whispered.

He grinned. "Okay, I will," he said, then after kissing Amelia once more, he left her with a smile on his face. If Amy said that things would work out, he believed her.

He was grinning as he walked into his mother's salon. "Yes, mother?" he asked her.

He noticed that Serena was still there, and so was his father.

"Ashton," the Queen said. "Your father and I have come to a decision."

"About what?" he frowned. His parents had never called him son. It was always Ashton, and it made him sad that they thought so little of him that they would not even acknowledge him as their own.

"We have decided that in order for you to take the throne, you will marry Serena."

Ashton went pale. "No."

"Oh, yes," the queen said. "And if you don't, the throne goes to your cousin Jacque. He seems to be the more responsible one."

"Why are you doing this, mother?" he asked, then looked at his father. "Father, why don't you do something?"

"Ashton, you are 23, it is high time you are wed, and Serena is your perfect match. That is all I am going to say. Marry her, and the throne is yours, don't marry her, then the throne is Jacque's."

"What if I find someone else to marry that is royalty?" Ashton asked in desperation.

"If she is a princess? Then yes, you will have our blessing," the queen said.

"But," Serena protested.

"Serena dear," the Queen said. "You can't compete against a princess, sorry."

Ashton sighed, but would he find a princess in time?

"Oh, and Ashton, we decided that the ball is going to be this weekend," the queen said.

"Mother, that doesn't give me time to find a bride."

"Well, we have invited the princess of Jardonia, if she would have you," the Queen shrugged.

"That is three days away, mother," Ashton said.

"Yes, it is," she sneered. "Which means, if that princess doesn't fall instantly in love with you, then you will wed Serena."

Ashton went deathly pale. How would he even go about asking a complete stranger to marry him? His life looked hopeless.

"There is no other option?" Ashton whispered.

"No other option," the Queen said, "isn't that right, dear," she said, looking at the king.

"That is the only option, Ashton. But the princess's brother will be here tomorrow. Perhaps you could convince him to talk to his sister into marrying you."

"You think a complete stranger would marry me?" Ashton asked.

"It's not our problem," the queen shrugged. "But probably not. That is why I think you should marry Serena. You have known her your whole life."

"I will let you know the day of the Ball what my decision is," Ashton said, and left the room.

His world felt like it was crashing down in front of him. How would he explain to Amy what his parents wanted? He was falling for her, and now he had to tell her that he couldn't see her anymore, but then his face brightened as he went to his room. She had said to trust her, that things would work out. He certainly hoped so. There was no way he could marry Serena, his life would be absolutely miserable.

Serena followed Ashton down the hall. "I don't know why you are so loathe to marry me," Serena said.

Ashton turned on her. "More than likely it is because how you act, and dress," Ashton said, disgustingly. "You act and dress like a whore. I will not have my queen looking or acting like you."

"I can change," she whined.

"I highly doubt that. You have always been that way, Serena. I can't see you changing."

"But I want the throne, and I will have it," she said, putting her hand on his arm. "You are mine, and no one else's, especially not that homely girl. I think she has a crush on you, but that is a laugh. She would never live up to my standard."

"I certainly hope not," Ashton said, pushing Serena's hand off of his arm. "I would never want Amy to act like you, and she is a lot more beautiful than you. If you call her homely one more time, I will kick you out of this palace." He turned away. "Oh, nice hair by the way. It goes with your clown makeup," and with that he walked away, leaving Serena fuming.

"You just wait, Ashton, you will be mine," Serena vowed, and headed back to the queen's chamber. It was time to come up with a new plan to make sure Ashton was hers forever.