CHAPTER 14

#BlackLivesMatter
First of all, let's give standing honour to all the people who are outside doing protests even in the middle of pandemic, risking their lives. Just stay safe guys.

It's sad how even in year 2020, we have to work against prejudice and skin colour. I don't know when we'll start appreciating people's various skin tone, when we'll realise all the colours are beautiful and that's what make the world vibrant and us human.

Let's be more accepting of people different than us, have different belief, different ideas, different skin tone, different everything.

It doesn't not matter who you are. Your life matter.
- - -

'Where were you last night? I called you like fifty times.' I hollar at the line as soon as Ian receives my call. Putting him on speaker, I blow dry my hair.

'Damn Sia, calm down.' Ian groans. 'It's barely six in the morning.'

'You don't get to complain. Both of you left me alone in that club.' I remind him.

'You weren't alone. Lana was with you and I left you my car keys.' He yawns.

'No.' I frown. 'I thought Lana was with you? Check her room.'

'I'm- er' He hesitates. 'I can't. I'm not at home. I'm sorry, Sia. I really thought you were with Lana.' I hear shuffling on his side. He appears more awake. 'Did something happen? Are you ok?'

'Nothing serious.' My voice turns high, accusatory. 'Are you with a girl? Was that why you left your best friend alone?'

'No.' He replies quickly. 'That wasn't the reason.' He sighs. 'Last night, Lana was with me but um- I got a call. I had to leave. I'm at one of my friend's.' He pauses, remembering something. 'Hey, what did you mean by nothing serious?'

'Like I said nothing you should worry about.'

'What are you not telling me, grumpy head? I'm coming.'

'You don't have to. I'm going to office early today. You should worry about Lana. Where'd she gone off to? I'm calling her.'

'Don't worry about her. She's alright. You tell me what happened last night.'

I furrow my brows. 'How do you know if she's ok or not? Have you talked with her?' I ask, completely disregarding his question.

'I didn't.' He seems to fumble to find the right words. 'I mean, why shouldn't she be?' He laughs nervously.

Something is off.

'Anyway, I'm calling her. Bye.'

Lana receives on the third ring. 'Why're you calling me at this ungodly hour?' Her voice is muffled, laced with sleep. 'Whatever you want to say, just tell Ian.' She cuts the call.

I roll my eyes at her antics. Any hour before twelve p.m. is ungodly to her.

'Why're you calling me again.' She whines.

'Don't cut the call.' I warn her. 'How could you leave me alone last night?'

'Oh, don't be so overdramatic.' I could picture her flipping me off with her hand. 'You weren't alone. You were with Ian and you had his keys.'

'I was not.' I grit my teeth in frustration. What is with these two? 'So you just left with Fred? You didn't even feel like telling me that you were leaving?'

'You weren't? And who said anything about Fred? I'm not with him.'

'Both of you left without telling me anything. I called you like hundred times. You could have at least texted me that you were going home.'