Just One Kiss Ch 42

For the rest of the day and for the next two days, Rahul cursed himself. Oh, why couldn't he ever speak when it was important! Yesterday at the end of Tia story, everything in him had danced for joy when he heard her say that she still loved him but when time came to talk, the words that was at the tip of his tongue refused to come out. He felt like beating his head against the hardest and nearest rock. He tried to catch Tia's eye to let her know...but though she did look at him for the briefest of time she didn't heed his message and come so they could talk. Instead she stayed in the company of Ferdinand and all other people who would keep her away from him and didn't catch his eyes again. He wanted to howl.

Dejectedly he kicked a path to the lake. Seeing it made him want to run to Tia and tell how... how much he loved and cared for her and how much he wanted to marry her. He'd almost lost her a few days ago. That alone should galvanize him into action. He should go to her and spill his guts but look at where he was. Sighing he sat with his back against one of the trees. He was a mess.   

"You know, the force of that sigh could uproot the tree next to you it's so big." A voice said pleasantly.

Rahul's head shot up then relaxed when he saw his father. He mumbled a greeting and went back to counting his sorrows. Hoping that his father would go away and leave him alone but the dratted man sat down next to him. "I would ask how you're doing but that's plainly written on your face."

"Go away Dad."

"No. We have to talk."

"No we don't. And why are you so perky anyway? Did you have too much coffee or something?"

"Don't be impertinent boy. My happiness has nothing to do with coffee. I've been happy for days because my wife is finally getting the help she needs."

"Oh, well, I am happy for you. Now go away."

"No. We have to talk about your recent muck up."

Rahul stared at his father. "Don't look at me like that boy. Of course I know about it. Gabby told me what happened or rather didn't happened in the woods yesterday. What happened, Son? Don't you love Tia? Yesterday was the perfect time to tell her!" Wade shook his head "You must not really love her as I thought you did."

"I do love her!" Rahul burst out "I have since I was fifteen years old!"

It was Wade's turn to stare. "That long and you've never told her! What have you been waiting on?"

"I was scared! Do you know what-" he stopped "I'm telling this to the wrong person aren't I?" he sprang up. "I need to go. Thanks Dad!" he yelled and took off.

His father watched him go and shook his head. Children, He thought, no matter how old they got they still needed help sorting out their head. A parent's job was never done. Smiling he went back to the castle.

Rahul ran all the way to his room and grabbed his bag. He knew now what he had to do. He had a plan. Making sure that he had what he would need he left the castle, walked down the road and took a taxi into the city. He knew exactly where he needed to go. He had thoroughly explored Larent during the time when Tia and his father had been too busy and or distracted to entertain him. Knocking the glass he told the taxi driver to take him to the Phoenix. It was the place to go if you wanted jewellery that was one of a kind and out of the ordinary.

Larent was a country rich in gold and other ores. It also had precious gems as well as oil. The woman who owned the Phoenix owned three of the four jewellery stores in the country. One store was devoted entirely to diamonds and called Girl's Best friend. The second was dedicated to selling the best quality jewellery money can buy and usually housed things found in other jewellery stores around the world it was called Styles. The third and last store, the Phoenix, was where, in addition to the unique pieces that sold there, the woman, Madame Elaina Burges, displayed and sold the jewellery that were hand crafted.