⚜️Chapitre trente-six⚜️

Mon ciel étoilé

My starry sky

┏━━━━━━༻♔༺━━━━━━┓

"Eunsook!"

A strong tug by my arm made me stumble and clutch the person who pulled me to the side. A car zoomed past us and I just realized that I was about to get run over. Again.

Jungkook dropped his head lower, his bangs brushing against my forehead, and sighed deeply in relief. His eyebrows crashed together into a knot as his eyes found mine.

"Please be careful around cars and streets... You nearly got yourself in an accident again."

I smiled sheepishly. "Sorry... Got lost in thought there."

When I took a few steps backwards from him, a sharp pain around my right ankle made me hiss. Jungkook quickly held my arm to hold me in place and followed my eyes.

"What?"

"I think I sprained my ankle." I tittered but Jungkook was anything but giggly.

Without a word, he bent down to pick me up in his arms and continued walking in the park, carrying me as if I weighed nothing. After what happened at the party, my heart was always in shambles every time I was near him. He became more forward with me and I wasn't prepared for any of it.

"Wow! There's a dandelion!"

I followed his sparkling gaze and found a fluffy ball of white seeds standing alone among yellow grass by the road. Dandelions were rare during this time of the year.

"So pretty..." Jungkook grinned at me. "Want to make a wish?"

Looking away and laying my head against his shoulder, I shook my head. "I don't make wishes. They're for people like you, not me..."

No one would hear my wishes and no one would care about them in the first place. I didn't have a life to live and hopes to achieve.

Even if I had a wish impossible to be granted...

•───────────⋅⚜️⋅───────────•

"What are you planning to do after graduating?"

I snorted. "I don't know... You?"

"I'm thinking about searching for a job." Jungkook scooped a few spoons of ice cream in his mouth and hummed in thought. "Maybe a gaming company? I really wanna try designing game characters."

"Oh yeah! Your characters for your one project were so cool," I exclaimed, swinging his arm out of excitement. "I'm so sure any company would hire you. It's really nice to have talents."

Jungkook whipped his head at me and pouted. "You have talents, too. You can get in any company with your skills, too."

A pained smile appeared on my face and I laid back down on my back, getting a full view of the starry night sky and exhaling loudly. I didn't have much time left to freely walk on earth as a human. I wouldn't be there to see him get a job and I wasn't sure if I wanted to be there at the graduation with him.

It would leave a scar deeper than anything in my heart and I would never be prepared for that.

Jungkook suddenly scooted closer and caged me with his arms on either side of my shoulders. His eyes were like the night sky, showing me beautiful stars inside them as they beheld me.

"You seem hesitant," he whispered, his voice wavering. "You aren't planning to go anywhere far away after graduating... are you?"

Unable to say yes, I replied with a soft smile and placed a kiss on his cheek, making him widen his eyes and blush pink. I wanted to engrave the sight in my heart forever... the starry sky I always loved and always looked up at wherever I went, and him... showering me with the stars in his eyes.

He was my starry sky.

"I bought something," he said, his confidence dropping lower with his tone, and pulled me up in a sitting position before fishing his hoodie pocket and bringing out a rectangular blue box. "For you..."

My heart skipped a beat and I hesitantly took the box before opening it. My eyes widened at the beautiful jewelry.

"It's a star hairpin and necklace set." Jungkook rubbed the back of his neck, smiling awkwardly. "Since you really love stars..."

Tears brimmed my eyes and I caressed the star shaped gems. "I... Thank you..."

"Eunsook," he whispered with so much emotions laced with his soft voice and I couldn't help but stare into his shimmering eyes. A beat of silence passed as if he was debating with himself.

"Tell me."

He swallowed before taking a deep breath.

"I'm in love with you..."

My expression fell and I sat there speechless.

Shocked was an understatement. My whole world shattered but felt like heaven. I felt like I won but I felt like I lost. I was euphoric but so so sad.

"Jungkook," I whispered, closing my eyes, "you shouldn't... Not me."

"Why?" His voice sounded broken and all I wanted was to hug him and kiss him. "Why not you?"

"...Because I can't be with you."

The words hurt not only him, but me as well. I never thought this would happen. I was never prepared for this, for how bad this would hurt.

"I'm so sorry, Jungkook..."

Warm, painful tears rolled down my cheeks.

"Did you lie? Did you lie about having feelings for me?"

I shook my head and wiped my tears away without being able to look at him. "I can't... I'm so sorry for everything."

Scrambling to my feet and clutching the jewelry box, I dashed to the door and ran back to my dorm room. The tears never ceased and the pain never left me, only intensifying with each thought of him.

I hurt him... and I couldn't do anything to stop that.

I couldn't go near him again.

Even if my heart yearned for him, I stayed away from him the best I could.

I ignored him for a week that felt like eternity.

┗━━━━━━༻♔༺━━━━━━┛

Don't attack me ;-; I'm sad, too ;-;

Please vote if you want them together again or liked my poetic ass in this chapter ;-;