⚜️Chapitre trente-trois⚜️

Sous les étoiles

Under the stars

┏━━━━━━༻♔༺━━━━━━┓

"Didn't you say your zodiac sign is Cancer?"

Centuries passed since I died. Zodiac wouldn't affect me for shit now. "Screw astrology."

Jungkook giggled and took out his phone to snap photos of me getting crushed by the children like a supersized burger. He seemed to be really happy seeing me suffer. When he said they were angels, I really trusted him. My shirt was stained with myriads of colors of paint and my head was pounding from all the yells and screams of the hyper children running around the room, chasing each other. The bruise on my knee when one of the boys accidentally dropped the table on it still throbbed.

"Big sis, you're so pretty," a girl said, beaming like a sunshine at me and I nearly cooed at her until she whipped out a paintbrush and continued, "Can I put makeup on you?"

With the children crushing my ribs, it was getting harder to breathe and I contemplated why I agreed to come here in the first place. Sure, the children's laughter was heartwarming and talking to them was gladdening, but I wasn't someone they should be playing with. I was worried that I might trigger something.

"Okay, you little rascals," Jungkook exclaimed, getting the children off me as they laughed heartily at my suffering and pulling me up in a sitting position on the floor, "let your pretty sis get some rest. You're especially cheerful today."

"Because a beautiful sister is here to play with us," a girl cheered, running up to hug me, taking me by surprise as I slowly wrapped my arms around her softer body. "It's the first time someone like you came to us so we're happy, big sis!"

Not knowing what to say or think, I froze with the small girl in my embrace. Her dull hazelnut colored fuzzy hair was braided into pigtails and her seemingly old blue dress was a little too shabby around its hems, but she felt so full... overflowing with life. My heart became so full by just hugging her.

"You will come again, right, big sis?" Her eyes sparkled like dozens of fireworks lighting up the night sky and I couldn't say no.

"Do you want anything when I come back again?"

She let out an adorable hum while pouting her small lips before smiling bashfully and poking my shoulder. "I always wanted to try milkshake. But I can't ask for something expensive so... I just want you here, big sis."

A smile tugged the corners of my lips and I caressed her chubby baby cheek with my fingers. "You're so mature, big sis is amazed."

She showed me her pearly teeth, grinning proudly, and my smile grew unknowingly.

"Thank you so much for saving the girls," the caregiver let out in relief as she approached us and patted the small girl's head. "He seemed trustworthy and kind... I can't believe that I fell for his act... Because of me, the girls would have-"

"Don't beat yourself over it," I whispered, watching the girl run off to play house with the others. "All you have to focus on is caring for them. Blaming yourself won't get you anywhere."