CHAPTER 38

The past few days, after the party, were a bit awkward for me since almost everyone used to stare at me. Now that almost three weeks have passed, no one is talking about what happened. I'm not sure if it's because of all the exams that we have next week or if everyone has truly forgotten it.

Everything is back to normal in my life. Nobody bothers me. I'm back to being invisible and to be honest, after experiencing all those glares last month, I love it like this. Mark still hasn't confessed to Haechan and now that I know his little secret, whenever I'm with Haechan, I'm scared to blurt it out.

Even though three weeks aren't that long, a lot has changed since then.

I also spoke with Minah about what Jaehyun had told me and she explained that her intention behind asking Jaehyun to bring me to the party with him was actually sincere. After her argument with Mark, she said that she lost it and let jealousy take over her actions. At that moment, I didn't know whether I should believe her or not, but now, everything is sorted out between the two of us. The young girl has moved on and she has recently started dating Jaehyun. The two of them seem happy. Also, just a few days ago, she started talking to Mark again. I guess they're friends now.

Sori and Lucas broke up. I thought that the chinese girl would be over dramatic over her break up since she was after Lucas for almost a year, but she seems to not care. So, I'm guessing they unanimously decided to break up. I don't know what changed but since the party, Sori is different. She's surprisingly nicer. I thought that after seeing me with Lucas that night at her house, she would bully me until the end of my high school year, but she didn't do such a thing. We have crossed paths a few times and instead of being mean to me, she just ignored me.

I still steal glances at Lucas whenever I see him at the school. He's aware of my gaze. Whenever his eyes meet mine, with a pounding heart, I swiftly look away. I know I should stop liking him. At the party, he said that he loves me, but after that night, the only time he interacted with me was when he had to accompany his sister so she could apologize to me. He pretended as if he never said anything to me that night. I want to confront him about it, but I can't always be the one running after him. If he truly wants me in his life then this time he has to take a step forward.

"Since this is your last year of high school, I expect more from you guys." The history teacher expresses. "So, that's why this time you guys will get only two weeks to work on your assignment", she continues. "This project is worth 30% of your final grade. You have to choose an era and write a 10 to 12 page essay about it, explaining all the events that happened at that time." Once we heard the number of pages that we have to write, everyone started to complain about how two weeks aren't enough. "I know it might seem like a lot, that's why you won't be working on it alone", The adult tries to comfort the teenagers, "You can do it in a group of two".

I'm at ease that I don't have to do this alone, but at the same time, I hate it. I'm scared to be stuck with someone lazy, who won't do a thing. Luckily, Kun has this class with me, so, I don't have to worry about my project partner.

"Since we have 15 minutes left, I'll let you guys decide with whom you want to do this assignment and once you have decided, write your names on this paper on the board.", The professor finishes before letting the students walk around the classroom in search of a group buddy.

Unlike some students, I don't have to look farther. I just turn my head to my side and the Chinese boy does the same. Without saying a word, we smile at each other and understand that we want to work on this together. We have always done group projects together, so, this is no exception.

The moment Kun walks towards the board, he's interrupted by Jungwoo and I feel someone else sitting beside me.

To my surprise, it's Lucas. This reminds me of the day when for the first time ever he paid any attention to me when he exchanged his seat with Kun so he can sit with me.

"Let's be project partners", He suggests.

"I-", For a moment I freeze because it was so out of the blue. "I'm working with Kun", I answer once I feel like my brain has started to function again.

"No, you're not. He's doing this project with Jungwoo." He says with a mile-wide smirk on his face.

"No, he's not", I reply with confidence but just one second after it, I start to doubt. Is he? I know that Lucas will never give up until he gets what he wants and Jungwoo is always the one that helps him. Last time Jungwoo convinced Kun to change seats with Lucas and this time, he might convince him to change group partner.

Just when I get up from my chair to stop Jungwoo from manipulating the Chinese, I see Kun coming back with an apologetic look on his face and Jungwoo happily writing their names on the white paper at the front.

"Sorry, I couldn't say no to Jungwoo", He expresses while scratching the back of his neck.

"But I asked you first", I complain in disbelief.

"I know, but you can do it with Lucas", He points at Lucas with a hand gesture and the taller shows me his big smile.

To be honest, I don't mind working with Lucas. This might actually help us understand each other and clear the past misunderstandings. The problem is that this project is worth 30% and I need good marks for my college application. So, this is very important for me, and from what I know, Lucas doesn't care about his grades, unlike Kun. This is fun for him and stressful for me.

Since we have only a few minutes left, Kun grabs his stuff and moves to Lucas's seat which was beside Jungwoo. As I analyze the room, everyone seems to have a team, and Lucas and I are the only two left. We both look at each other, waiting for someone to say something. Even though the room is full of students chattering, we're in complete silence that only the two of us can feel.

"I guess you don't have any other option", The tall boy breaks the silence.

"Yeah...", I sigh, "I'll write our names".