9 | insecure

I hated hospitals, with a passion

I hated hospitals, with a passion. I hated having nurses and doctors in my face, touching me, and monitoring my every move.

But, I knew this day would come. Since the season started, I had been having pain in my hip and abdomen area. Putting it off just made it worse. I had been on the injury report every week, so it was public record.

That ain't excuse the nigga who called himself making a point. Ex of my girl or not, that ain't got shit to do with the game.

I surfed through the channels on the tv mounted to the wall, a flat screen that was barely 32-inches. Wincing in pain, I tried to get comfortable, but it was no use. Hearing my phone buzz in my pocket, I pulled it out and answered the FaceTime call from my mama.

"Baby boy." She called, a worried look on her face. "What the hell goin on?"

"I'm good, Ma. Don't worry."

"Don't worry? I sat here and watched that tackle. Don't tell me not to worry. That boy had it out for you the whole game, it was evident." I grew quiet, waiting for her to finish talking. "What the doctor's say?"

"I'm having surgery tomorrow morning."

She took a deep breath and began shuffling on her end.

"What you doin?"

"I'm coming."

"No, you good, Ma. I'll be fine. It's an outpatient surgery. I'll get somebody to drive me home."

"And who's goin to take care of you?"

As much as I wanted to say Naomi, I didn't feel like she'd genuinely be there for me. She's been so busy with her job, I don't even know if she'll have time for me.

"Is Naomi going to be there?" She asked after a pause.

"I don't know."

"And you want me to just stay here? I'm coming, Odell. No 'buts'." She sighed.

"Alright, mama."

Hearing my room door open, I told my mom I'd call her later. "Yo!" Jarvis nearly shouted after opening the door. Malik, Tabi, Coach Anders, and my manager, Brad strolled in behind him, making a grin spread across my face. I just knew I would have to spend the night here by myself. I hadn't heard from Naomi all day.

"Aw man." Malik exaggerated as he walked over to the left side of the bed. "You look bad, my friend."

"Thanks." I said sarcastically.

"I'm kiddin, I'm kiddin."

"Odell." Brad looked over to me. "How you feeling?"

"Like shit." I chuckled. "Just ready for this surgery to be over with. I hate goin under."