10 | a taste of the past

"Great job today, my lovely people

"Great job today, my lovely people. Remember, you all need to project those voices in rehearsal. Get in the habit of making sure every word hits, ok? There's a possibility we may not have mics, so in that case, you still need to make sure everyone can hear you."

I made sure to make eye contact with all of my students. Their eyes were full of focus as they gave their full attention.

"Ok." I smiled. "That's it for today. Enjoy your weekend."

Another day of work over with, and another successful rehearsal is done. As my students walked out of the auditorium, Ananya walked in with another box of costumes. She recently joined me to aid in putting this play on.

"Ms. Ana," Corey called. He was one of my students and one of the leads in our play. "When is rehearsal going to pick up more?"

"In two weeks."

"Ok." He nodded. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Yeah, sure."

"It's a little personal."

Ananya got the hint when I looked over to her and she headed for the door. Once it was closed, I sat down to give Corey my attention.

"Ok, Ms. Ana. You know I don't like askin you for stuff."

"What's up, Corey?" I laughed.

"Is there a way we can meet earlier, or not stay as late when we pick up? Or maybe I can be excused to miss some rehearsals? My family is...going through a lot right now, and my mom won't be able to pick me up since she has a second job now."

Thinking fast, I nodded and patted his shoulder. "Or maybe I can take you home? That way you can stay here with us as long as we need to and we don't have to change the schedule to make more conflicts."

"Woah, Ms. Ana. I don't want to create more work for you."

"It's not more work if I willingly do it, Corey. I got you."

He looked down to the floor and nodded, then looked up.

"Hey, don't ever be ashamed to ask me for help. It's what I'm here for, ok?"

"Yes ma'am." He smiled. "My mom's waiting on me, so ima get going. Thank you."

"You're welcome, sweetie."

When he got to the door, he told Ananya 'bye' before heading to the door. She struggled to walk in with a box.

"Honey, how many boxes of costumes do you all have?" She breathed heavily after sitting the box down. She stood up straight and rested her arms on her hips.

"That should be it."

"Whew." She wiped sweat from her forehead. "Now I don't have to make it to the gym tonight, that was my workout."