17 | uptown blues (pt. 2)

The smells of authentic Mexican cuisines filled the apartment while Tabi's mom maneuvered throughout the kitchen

The smells of authentic Mexican cuisines filled the apartment while Tabi's mom maneuvered throughout the kitchen. Tabitha's older brother, Javier, followed closely behind. He picked up the cutting board after Shannon moved the cut chicken to the heated pan on the stove.

Unlike Tabi's older brother, Leo wanted nothing to do with the kitchen. He sat at the dining table with Jarvis and Malik, engaging in talk about football. Andrea sat close by, not feeling welcomed to join Tabitha, Ana, and Brooke, Tabi's favorite cousin who came to join the festivities.

They sat in the living room, Ana and Tabi on one couch on opposite sides, with Brooke on the couch across from them. They discussed life, careers, men...the conversations flowed and changed naturally.

"Girl, Dakota and I broke up like...three or four months ago. Hell, I stopped keeping track." Brooke shrugged. "He was playing me and one of his exes at the same time, then he call himself moving on with someone else from his past. I'm letting a new man find me, we are not the same."

"Period, sis." Tabi laughed. "You deserve better anyway, he was a dick."

"I'm mad it took me two years to figure that out, but it's cool. I learned my lesson."

"Amen." Ana nodded, taking a sip from her wine glass. She tried her best to maintain interest in their conversation, but her mind stayed on Odell.

Ever since he left her room earlier, he's been distant. He stays to himself and he isn't out of his room engaging with all the guests. Was it something she did? Maybe he was upset with Naomi. She had probably caused more drama in their phone conversation. Or maybe he was simply tired from last night and needed rest.

"Ok, so are we excited for this wedding coming up or what?" Brooke smiles. "I'm so ready to come to Cleveland do all the dress fittings, plan this bachelorette party,—"

"Hold up!" Jarvis yelled  from the his seat at the dining room table. "Bachelorette party?"

"Oh, Jay don't start." Tabi rolled her eyes. "You know my girls are planning one for me. Just like I'm sure Odell and Malik are doing for you."

"Damn right, bro. Bout to be some big booty strippers in that thing, we goin up all night long." Leo laughed.

"Um, no." Tabi jumped in. "No strippers."

"No strippers?" Jay and Malik asked in unison.

"You heard me! And you will not have my brothers involved in your shenanigans either." Tabi playfully smirked at her fiancée.

"Hi, ladies."

Ana, Brooke, and Tabi turned around, seeing Andrea standing over them. "Mind if I join you all over here? Sitting with the guys got loud."