19 | F&MU

"How was work?"

"How was work?"

I couldn't see my face, but I could tell Indigo read the room from my entrance into my apartment and sensed that work was the last thing I wanted to talk about.

This week was a stressful one.

After the meeting I had with the assistant principal, we picked up rehearsals for the play with the students staying longer to get more work done. Like I agreed, I've been taking one of students home on nights where his mom can't get off to pick him up.

That in particular isn't the issue. It's my job. Between switching classrooms everyday, to teachers agreeing that I can use their space, then later saying "I'm sorry, but I'll be using it", to having to facilitate rehearsals in spaces that don't accommodate our group, I've been wanting to say, fuck it.

But I can't give up on my students. If they watch me give up due to a challenge, what am I teaching them?

"I feel that." She chuckled, picking up her mess on the dining room table. From the looks of it, she had just finished eating and was working on some things from her laptop. "Hey, Ana?" She called from behind me as I walked down the hall to my bedroom.

"Yeah?" I turned around to give her my full attention.

"I called my mom. I'm going to tell her."

Walking back towards her, I tried my best not to show how surprised I was. It had been a little over a week since Indigo showed up on my doorstep, and I was starting to think we were just going to move past the situation without speaking about it anymore. It's been a huge elephant in the room and we've gotten used to moving around it like it didn't exist.

"Really?"

"Yeah. I think it's time. We've just been talking on the phone, and I can tell she knows something is wrong. Plus, she asked if I could help her out at the restaurant, so she'll see."

"Ok." I nodded. "Well, would you like me to go with you?"

"I would, but I'll be ok on my own. I haven't spent time with my mom in so long, with just us. So it'll be much needed. Plus, I've been in your space for a week. I'll give you some alone time for the night."

"It's really no problem." I smiled. "Let me know if I can do anything."

"Thanks, girl."

In less than an hour, Indie had freshened up and left the house to go meet Aunt Salita. Once the house was clear, I ran myself a hot bubble bath, poured myself a glass of wine, and got undressed. Not wanting to get my hair wet, I pulled it up in a tight bun before getting inside.

Closing my eyes, I laid back and grew comfortable under the bubble-filled, steaming water. After turning music on, I held my glass of wine and took sips from it, resting my head back on the tub in between.