♧27

Slowly and reluctantly, I uncover my face. I blink, close my eyes, and blink again.

Streaks of sunlight penetrate the window and blind me.

Okay maybe that's a slight overreaction, I really should stop spending so much time in the dark.

I sit up, drag my feet off the bed, and rub my knuckles onto my eyes. I stretch my arms above my head and yawn. I watch my legs dangle above the off-grey polyester carpet.

What time is it?

I pick up my phone from the night stand nearby and switch it on.

Monday 19th October, 2024
9:00 am.
10 missed calls from Ava💫

2 voicemails from Ava💫

Why in the world is Ava calling, what's so important she rung me at 7:00am?

5, 4....3.....2....

Shit!

I was supposed to pick Ava up for school since her cars gone.

Fuck, fuck fuck!

"Play voicemails" I instruct my phone.

"Hey, Ari, it's uh 7: 30am and school starts at 8:20am so if we're gonna get early you should co- Marcus don't touch my shit! I will shave your head"

"Playing second voicemail"

"Okay so it's quite late, I figure your definitely still asleep, so this is a wake up call it's 8: 50am. We could get detention, A, please wake the hell up!"

I pull the phone away and rush to the bathroom.

I enter the shower turning on the hot water and going as fast as I can, I can't afford being late to school, they would definitely tell my parents and it's boarding school from there.

And I am not about to a prisoner in some all girl psych house.

I get out of the shower quickly grabbing a light pink hoodie with black jeans and putting them on.

There's no time to do anything else so I remove the hair tie from my hair and let my loose curls fall.

I grab my phone from my bed and dial Ava.

Ring

Ring

Rin-

"She awakes finally! Dude we are so late. We are definitely getting detention, why did you wake up so late?".

I sigh remembering all the movies and series I binged over night, I mean it called for celebration, I've rid myself of those psychopaths.

I could finally sleep in my room without having to worry about teenage dolts stealing it.

"Sorry about that, I stayed up last night enjoying my freedom and overslept. I am on my way right now. Be there in 10 minutes" I grab my backpack and dash out the front door heading for the garage.

"What do you mean by freedom?"

"I'll explain later, be there soon". I hang up and open the garage door entering my car.

Ava's house isn't that far from mine, so far as I go a little bit passed the speed limit.

Upon reaching there, I honked the car twice so she should know I'm here, you know just in case she didn't get it by the loud screeching tires.

She rushes out of her house, wearing casual outfit, an off shoulder floral blouse with some high-waist jeans paired off with some black pair of heels.