𝟔.

The Wheeler Residence | Wed 6:30 AM
Mike Wheeler

Mike woke up to the sound of his alarm in his ear and with one thing on his mind: Bryce, or whatever Troy said his name was.

Mike got out of bed while continuing to think. He regretted not sticking up for Bryce, seeing how scared he looked in the moment. He also wondered how he's never seen him before, since Troy seemed to know him pretty well.

Mike got dressed, putting on a green polo shirt and some black shorts. He thought about how handsome Bryce was while tying his shoe laces—wait, why would he think another guy was handsome?

Mike put his hand to his chest and felt his heartbeat. That's weird he thought. He started doing breathing exercises, thinking his heart was beating entirely too fast. He also felt a nervousness in his stomach, and was now convinced that he was sick or something.

He opened his nightstand dresser and took out a pill bottle that read Nausea. He took one pill and dry swallowed it, needing to hurry up and head downstairs before Karen started calling him.

He grabbed his bags from off the floor and walked out of his bed room, following the smell of bacon and eggs coming from the kitchen.

"Hey Mom." Mike said while grabbing a plate.

"Good morning." She said nonchalantly while looking at a magazine for swimsuits and cooking more pancakes.

Mike noticed the pounds of Makeup on his mother's face and knew she wasn't wearing it for his father, he just couldn't prove it and didn't want to think the worst.

Mike loaded his plate with food and then went to the dining room to sit down at the table with everyone else, dropping his bags on the floor next to him. He ate quietly while thinking about Bryce and making a mental note to talk to him today.

***

Mike left his first period class, still having Bryce on the mind. He turned his head and spotted the boy across the hall.

Mike observed Bryce from afar before he decided to just go for it. He walked over to the boy and stood next to him by his locker.

"Hi!" Mike said bubbly.

Bryce flinched at the sound of Mikes voice, making Mike feel some type of way. Is he scared of me? he thought.

"I'm Mike—I mean you probably already know that but um yeah, you are?" Mike said nervously.

Bryce still had a look of fear in his eyes, desperately trying to get out of the conversation without getting his ass beat.

The bell rung, and Mike took the hint that he didn't want to talk.

"Ok well, I guess that means I've gotta go. Bye!" he said while starting to walk away.

Mike was going to make it his mission to break Bryce out of his shell if it was the last thing he did. 

***

When Mike walked into his fourth period class, he immediately spotted Troy and went to go sit next to him and ask a few questions about Bryce.

"Hey Troy, can I ask you something?"

"S-Sure." Troy stuttered. Mike could tell he was nervous, which made him think Is he scared of me too?

"Can you tell me about Bryce?"

Troy's eyebrows furrowed in confusion as he asked, "Who's Bryce?"

"That kid you were messing with the other day. You know, the one that was signing up for art club?"

"Oh! You mean Byers!" Troy said.

"That's his first name?"

"Last. His name is Will Byers."

Will Byers. Mike wouldn't be forgetting that name.

"Tell me about him." Mike said.

"Well he's friends with this freak named Dustin, who's probably his little queer boyfriend." Troy said, not being able to help himself.

"Seriously Troy? More gay jokes?" Mike said while getting up and moving to his assigned seat.

Mike looked back at Troy's sad expression and scoffed. He used to feel bad for getting mad at Troy, but at this point he's just too toxic to be around.

The second bell rang and everyone sat down while the teacher began the lesson. Mike still wondered how he didn't fall asleep in this class, considering how slow and emotionless the teacher spoke.

Mike could feel eyes on him but just thought he was being paranoid. Plus, everyone looks at Mike so this is nothing new for him. That didn't stop him from peeking up and realizing that it was just Troy again.

He's been doing that a lot lately, weird Mike thought to himself.

To be continued...

Two chapters in one day! Whoop whoop! - Vaeh

[6/11/20 | 779 words]