𝟕.

The Byers Residence | Thur 12:56 AM
Will Byers

The sky was pitch black and the only sound that could be heard was the creaking fan on Will's ceiling and the loud argument coming from the living room. He peered out of his window from his bed, fearing what lied in the shadows casted by those pinewood trees.

Will decided to lie back down and try to get some more rest, but his parents bickering was stopping him from being able to relax. He was scared of the yelling escalating into something physical.

He got back up and turned on the boom box that sat across his room on the desk. He played his favorite song, should I stay or should I go while thinking about Jonathan and what he was doing right now.

Will's thoughts were distracted by what looked like a shadow moving in the night. He closed his curtains and got back under the covers of his bed, convinced that his paranoia was making him see things that weren't there.

Eventually, he just focused back on his song and tuned out everything else in the world. It was just him and the music.

Darling you've got to let me know...

"Should I stay or should I go." He whispered to himself before drifting off to sleep. His music and his man journal seemed to be the only thing that calmed him these days. Without them he wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

***

"Wish Suzie was here, I'd totally take her." Dustin said while taking another bite of his sandwich.

Will listen to his curly headed friend while he silently ate as well. The cafeteria was extremely too noisy for Will's liking and he knew he'd have to basically yell in order for Dustin to hear him.

They talked about the school dance that was coming up, which Will still had no idea if he was going to or not. He had a bit of social anxiety and knew he'd probably just be sitting at a table alone while all the couples danced. There was also no chance he'd get asked or ask anyone so what was the point really?

After lunch, Will headed to his locker before Math class. While getting his books, he was interrupted yet again, but this time it wasn't a tall football player, it was a short cheerleader.

"Hi um, you don't know me but I'm Blaineley and I was wondering if you uh...wanted to...go to the dance with me?" she asked while fiddling with her fingers.

Blaineley had strawberry blonde hair and blue eyes that were magnified by the frames on her face. Will looked at the her with confusion as he thought to himself.

Doesn't she know I'm—well it is a rumor—but it still fells weird to go with a girl. But It would be rude if I said no, I mean maybe I just haven't found the right girl yet? Maybe she is it?

"S-Sure." Will said bashfully.

Blaineley's shocked expression quickly turned into a wide smile.

"Hey Blaine!" one of the cheerleaders called, causing her to turn towards them and wave. This caused Will to second guess his answer.

Wait...how could I be so stupid? She's probably playing a prank on me. Why would a cheerleader, or any girl for that matter want to do anything me?

"I mean...No!" Will said a little louder.

Blaineley looked down sadly and said, "Oh, ok. I understand." while starting to walk away.

Will immediately felt guilty, and thought that maybe she was being genuine. By the time he wanted to take back his answer, it was too late, and she was already gone.

***

Will sat at his usual spot on the bleachers and worked on his new art club assignment. Today he had to draw a person, and since he always liked to watch tryouts, he figured he'd draw one of the football players.

The only problem with this is that he couldn't exactly get a good view of them while they were playing football so he thought about who he has had the best memory of.

His mind went straight to Troy but there was no way he was drawing his bully so then he thought about Mike. Will had almost forgotten about their encounter yesterday and part of him wished that he had.

He felt extremely awkward about it and was embarrassed to even come to the bleachers today. He hoped that Mike would just leave him alone so that he didn't have to act 'normal'. Will could be himself around Dustin because Dustin and him mostly enjoyed the same things, but Mike was way too cool to be into things like D&D and comic books.

Will began drawing Mike, starting with his hair and ending with his jawline. He had one eye on his paper and one eye on his watch, as to not make the mistake of coming home late and upsetting Lonnie.

After he finished the drawing, he held it up and looked at it in the light. Will wasn't one to compliment himself, but he thought he did a pretty good job.

He continued to stare at the picture and he noticed how cute Mike really was, from his freckles, to his sharp jawline, to his wavy black hair. Will felt his cheeks warm up a bit and quickly stuffed the picture in his bag and ran to the parking lot.

His felt his heart beating in his throat and assumed it was fear, but he got the same feeling whenever he'd write in his man journal, so maybe it was something...different.

To be continued...
[6/13/20 | 954 words]