𝟏𝟕.

Hawkins High | Fri 6:32 PM
Mike Wheeler

Practice had just ended, and now all the football players were in the locker room, getting dressed. Ever since Mike 'came out' to El, he'd been wanting to test that theory. Of course, he was waiting for Will but it wouldn't hurt to just peak at the other guys. Just once. He observed their bodies, which were mostly abs and thick calfs and big a—

Lucas interrupted Mike from his thoughts by slamming his locker. Mike jumped and got back to stuffing his bag with clothes. Lucas turned to him and asked, "Where you been? I feel like we barely hang out anymore."

"I've been hanging out with Will." Mike said while grabbing his bag.

"That homo? You got a crush on him or something Michael?" Lucas said with a hint of jealousy on his tongue.

Is it that obvious? Mike thought

He turned away and hid his blush while saying, "He isn't even gay! You gotta stop listening to Troy. He's probably the homo."

Mike walked out of the locker room to avoid the rest of that conversation. The air in the hallway smelled much fresher than in there anyways. He began walking towards the front, where Karen usually picked him up. The hallway was empty and Mike could only hear the squeaking of his sneakers against the tile, until he got closer to the front and began to hear lockers slamming. When he turned the corner he was shocked at what he saw.

Max was pinning El against the lockers and gently pulling on her hair as they attacked each other's faces with their mouths. Mike backed up and continue to peak at what they were doing in shock. Should I tell Lucas? Mike knew how much he loved Max and if he knew about this it would crush him, so he withheld the truth for now. Mike took another route to get to the front, so he wouldn't deal with having to confront the two. He got in his mothers car and they drove home.

***

Mike sat on his bed with his hands on his stomach in deep thought. He wasn't thinking about anything specific, just life in general. Football, his family, his friends, and Will of course. He was interrupted by Nancy peaking her head into his room.

"Hey." She said. "Mom and Dad are going on a date and I'm going out too so it's just gonna be you and Hol here. They ordered you guys some pizza and you need to go get it when it comes. Money's on the table."

"Alright." Mike said while still staring at the ceiling.

"Also, watch your sister and make sure she doesn't hurt herself."

A couple minutes after she left, Mike got up from his bed and stretched. He walked out of his room, down the hallway, and down the stairs. The whole house was quiet, except for whatever Holly was watching on Tv. She sat on Ted's recliner, which is where he was on most days after work. He never let the kids even touch the chair, but Holly had always been a rebellious child.

Mike walked over to the couch next to her and as soon as he sat down, the doorbell rung. Mike immediately jumped back up, earning a small giggle from the 6 year old beside him. He smiled and rolled his eyes at her and then went to get the money off the table and answer the door. When Mike opened it, he was surprised at who he saw standing at the other side with a pizza box in his hand.

"Hey, Troy. I didn't know you worked at Big Ben's."

Mike's statement caused him to immediately break down in a fit of tears and sadness, that he could no longer hold in. He tried to cover his face with his arm but Mike could still visibly see the the tears trickling down from his eyes.