𝟑𝟔.

Hawkins High | Fri 8:05 AM
Mike Wheeler

Mike often heard his friends around describe school as hell like, and always told them they were being dramatic. It's was always just high school: a building with people inside. Now, he was starting to see the reason behind their description. Today was the day he had to face the music, he couldn't miss anymore days this week or he'd be suspended. When he got out of the car and began to walk to the entrance, he felt like he was in the depths of the underworld, paying for his sins. He should've just gotten suspended.

Walking down the sophomore hallway was the hardest part, although a familiar experience. At least with the picture, not everyone wanted to believe the truth, but a verbal confirmation was different. There was no way for Mike to take it back or for people to un-hear what he said. This was the ditch he dug for himself and now he was lying in it, no one there to pull him up.

Except, maybe there was.

When he saw El, Mike walked closer to her while trying not to look at the shocked faces in his peripheral vision. El seemed to be occupied at her locker, and didn't notice Mike when he first came up to her, or so he thought. In actuality, El was embarrassed to be around him, and she thought that if she ignored him long enough then he would eventually go away, but she was highly mistaken.

"Hey El. I'm still alive if you were wondering."

She didn't respond.

"El? You heard me? Or are you ignoring me today too?"

She still didn't respond or acknowledge his prescence beside her, which began to irk his nerves. What did he do to deserve the silent treatment? Be himself unapologetically?

"El!" Mike said, raising his voice and intriguing the bystanders, who's attention Mike already had simply by being there. He grabbed her wrist and she finally reacted.

"What Mike? Leave me the hell alone!" She said coldly while snatching her hand out of his grasp.

Mike grabbed her once again and yelled, "What is wrong with you? Why are you so mad today!?"

El pushed all of her books in her locker and turned her entire body towards him. The question made her speechless, the truth would sting but lying could escalate things. Either way she would be hurting someone she truly cared about. A part of her wondered If I really care about him, then why am I so embarrassed? I've know he was gay for weeks!

Her expression alone told Mike everything he needed to know. "You're ashamed of me aren't you? Wow, that's funny. You fucking hypocrite."

"Mike stop..." El said quietly, trying to shush him. Although the bell had already rung, almost the entire grade surrounded the two and listened into their conversation. They watched them like they were watching an episode of a soap opera.

"Y'all wanna know how?" Mike said while turning to the audience. "'Cause she's a le—"

Mike was interrupted by a hard slap!, one that echoed throughout the hallway and erupted gasps from the crowd. Mike's head was turned to the right and stayed that way for a moment. He was in more pain internally than externally, he never thought El would ever do something like this. He could handle a slap, but being thrown under the bus was too far. After a few seconds of silence, El filled the air with the last thing she would say to him for a while.