𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐃𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 (𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝟐)

The Wheeler Residence | Fri 7:24 PM
Mike Wheeler

"Mom!" Mike whined. "I'm gonna be late!"

"Just one more Michael! Stand still!" Karen said with the camera in her hands. Mike groaned as he was blinded by the flash.

After El asked him to the dance, Mike had to find himself an outfit to match hers. So, he endured clothes shopping with his mother and had found the perfect suit to wear. It was black with a blue shirt underneath and a black bow tie to match.

"Ok I'm done, you can go now." Karen said while looking at the pictures she'd taken. Mike grabbed the blue corsage he got for El and stuffed it in his pocket while walking towards the door.

"Wait Mike one more thing..."

He turned around and was met with the wet lips of his mother on his forehead. "Have fun."

Mike waited til he was outside to wipe his mother's lipstick off his head with his sleeve. He walked up the driveway and looked down the street, then checked his watch. 7:30 it read. He looked back up once he heard the rumble of the engine of Hopper's car.

Hopper drove up to their house, and then stopped to let Mike get in. Mike sat in the back seat, which he had all to himself since El sat in the passengers seat next to her father.

"Thanks for picking me up." Mike said happily while pulling out El's gift. He leaned forward and said, "Here. This is for you." and handed her the corsage.

She smiled and said, "Aren't these a prom thing?"

"Probably, but just take it anyways."

A pleased smile appeared on Hoppers face as he continued driving out of the neighborhood and towards Hawkins High. Maybe Mike was perfect for his daughter and he shouldn't worry so much about it.

***

As soon as they got to the dance, the two instantly split up. El was dancing with Max all night and Lucas was talking to the other football players so Mike was left standing alone by the punch bowl. The strobe lights created a purple hue in the gym, a color Mike associated with romance. He looked over at the bleachers and saw that Will was also alone. This must be a sign He thought.

After a couple minutes of staring, he decided that he should just go for it. He put down his cup and started the long walk across the gym over to where Will was sitting, which became a little awkward when Will noticed he was walking towards him and made eye contact.

"Hey." Mike said while sitting next to him, trying to play it cool.

"Oh h-hi." Will was radiating nothing but nervousness, which in turn made Mike more nervous.

"You look nice, w-way better than me anyway."

"Oh no." Will said while smiling and shaking his head. He thought it was weird compliment coming from the hottest guy in school, but him complimenting Will in the first place was weirder.

"I'm serious! I have to try so hard just to look decent and your perfect just being you!" Mike said passionately.

When Will didn't answer right away, he feared that he said too much. Instead of speaking, Will looked at Mike with a bigger grin on his face, and a blush creeping on his cheeks.

"Thanks, Mike." He softly said.

Just hearing him say his name caused Mike's heart rate to accelerate and a warm feeling to circulate in his body. He felt like he could get lost in Will's hazel eyes that sparkled in the dim lights of the gym.

"You bike to school right?" Mike asked, earring a nod from Will. "Well I was thinking of getting one so that we could ride together."

They sat in silence, both wanting to say something they don't. Mike's fingers inched closer to Will's, and eventually were touching. They're heartbeats we're in sync. While staring into each other's eyes, something started pulling them closer and closer together like magnets.

Is this really happening right now? Mike thought to himself.

Whatever was supposed to happen happened too slow because soon they were abruptly interrupted by none other than Jane Eleanor Hopper.

"May I have this dance?" She said while holding out her hand.

Mike's head turned violently towards her and he stared at her hand for a minute before taking it, coming back into reality. She led him away from the bleachers as he turned to wave at Will. Will was still completely stunned at the chain of events, wondering if it was all a hallucination or a wet dream.

El and Mike went close to the middle of the crowd of students and began slow dancing to the love song playing in the background. Mike had his hands on her hips, while she had her arms draped around his neck and shoulders.

"What you doing talking to that Byers Kid?" El asked curiously, knowing what people say about him.

"My date was busy." He said before twirling her around and then pulling her back in.

"Wow. You're a good dancer, Wheeler."

"I try, I try."

El proceeded to put her head on Mike's chest and grab his hand, making him rest his head on hers. They continued to dance, swaying back and forth until thoughts of Will invaded Mike's mind once again. He knew there was something there, but what about El? She might have feelings for Mike like Mike does for Will.

"El?" Mike said, causing his curly-headed date to look up. "Do you like me, like not as a friend?"

She flashed a smile, as if she was going to laugh, and her expression quickly faded away before she made her next statement. "Mike, can I tell you something?"

He nodded and she sighed.

"I think I'm into girls."

Mike's eyebrows lifted in surprise, and he stayed silent for a moment, not knowing what to say or do. He looked over at Will, the person he wished he was dancing with right now and felt a bit of a connection to El. Mike could still feel her heart beating with regret and put her at ease by saying, "I think I'm into boys." Which was a false statement because he was only into one boy. El smiled and they hugged each other tightly, neither wanting to be out of the others arms.

To be continued...

PS. Begging for updates is great motivation so don't be afraid to
— Vaeh Joi

[7/3/20 | 1093 words]