𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧 (𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝟏)

The Wheeler Residence | Sat 5:45 PM
Mike Wheeler

The room was dim, a complete contrast from the warm sunny weather outside, although it had been snowing a day before. Mike laid on his bed, faced toward the wall, and listened to the sound of the creaking fan. He was supposed to be sick, but that was just an excuse to stay home and not have to look his mother in the eye any longer. She and the rest of the family were going to go visit her sister in Maine, leaving Mike alone for the weekend.

Besides his mother, he was also way too conflicted by Will's poem to go anywhere. On one hand, the poem felt like a love letter, causing his heart to flutter every time he read it. On another, It was also very sad, as if these were Will's last words to a world of hurt. He hoped this wasn't the case and continued to focus on the good parts. Will had admitted his feelings for Mike before, but this made Mike believe him. He hoped there was still a chance for them to be together one day.

After reading the poem for the 30th time that day, Mike began to grow bored and decided to call Lucas, thinking maybe there was something for them to do today. So, Mike got out of his bed and walked downstairs to the landline on the wall. He twirled a finger around the cord while it rung and rested his body against the wall. Once he finally answered, Mike spoke softly into the phone.

"Hey Luc, I'm kinda lonely here by myself so you wanna come over? Or go somewhere?"

"Wait, you're home alone!?" Lucas asked excitedly.

"Yeah, everybody else is out of state."

"Mike, you know what this means?"

"What?"

"We're throwing a party! I'll be over in 5." He replied before hanging up.

Mike wish he had a chance to protest, seeing as he was in no mood to be partying. However, it would be rebellious of him to throw one behind his parents' backs. He never had the chance to do anything like this because Karen and Ted never went out and where always home. Their jobs made it so that at least one of them were present at all times. But tonight, they weren't here and Mike was going to throw his first party.

He started by going upstairs to change into something more 'party appropriate'. For some reason, his father always liked to give Mike hand me downs, even though they were no where near the same body type. Most of the pants he wore were skinny jeans he stole from Nancy, figuring she always wore dresses anyways. He kept the shirts he was given, liking the over-sized look. It gave him some edge and was the only thing he wore that came from the men's section.

After getting dressed in black skinny jeans and a plain white tee, he came back downstairs just in time to hear the doorbell ring. He opened the door and was met with the wide smile of none other than Lucas Sinclair, who held a few cases of beers in his arms.

"You look nice." He said.

Mike rolled his eyes and let him inside.

"So I already called up a few people, they should be showing up soon. Um...you mind going to the store and getting some cups and maybe a couple bags of chips or something?" Lucas continued while putting down the beers and stretching his arms. He was a bit lanky himself.

"Alright, I'll be back." Mike said while taking his coat off the rack beside the door and walking outside.

The sky was blue and dim, the sun already set. Mike boarded his vehicle and strolled down the street, noticing some people headed towards his house already. He wasn't surprised, Lucas' charisma could convince anyone to do anything, which was why he was as popular as he was. Once Mike made it to the small convenient store, he bought as much stuff as he could with the little bit of money he had in his pocket.