Chapter Six: Resting Scowl Face

My Saturday mornings has always been reserved for Zoey, even when Pat and I started dating. Sometimes, he would join us but looking back, I regret letting him tag along. The mystery of why they were in the car together was still in the back of my mind.

The bigger mystery was if I would ever know why.

"I swear, all I could hear from every teacher of every subject is college this and college that," she rambled, her frustrations obvious from her voice, "As if I don't get enough pressure from mom and dad."

She was going to go and do amazing things, even if she didn't know it yet. Princeton University. Ivy League. Economics Major.

Because there wasn't a single thing she was bad at.

"So how about you?" she asked, picking up her mug of coffee, "Any eventful thing that happened during your first week back?"

I traveled through time? Was that too much for an opening line?

Alright, let's dial it down and go on with the whole fiasco of my ex-boyfriend who hasn't become my boyfriend yet and is somehow trying to have me date him. Oh did I mention that my two best friends want me to go out with him even if I explicitly said that I didn't want to?

Did that sound complicated? Well, welcome to the reality I was living in.

"Well, there's this guy..." I trailed off, first wondering if I should even continue on and tell her about Pat because we all knew what happened the first time I mentioned them both to each other.

However, there was no going back now because she gasped excitedly, "And then?"

"We just started to become friends. We've been classmate for years but now we're getting closer," I explained, poking the scrambled eggs on my plate, "I did ask him to be just friends for now."

"I haven't heard you talk about a guy in months," she said with a grin, "So this is refreshing."

Well, that was because after the last guy I dated, I cooled myself off from relationships for a while. Of course, Pat entered the scene eventually. In fact, after our first date, we were ready to make it official instantly. It helped that we have been flirting for some time before that happened.

Now the timeline that I had been used to got all messed up so I don't know how to pace all of this. Everything about this has been completely unpredictable.

"How about you?" I questioned, trying to steer the conversation away from my pending doom. By that, I meant Pat's interest on me, "Anybody caught your eye yet?"

"Heavens no," she laughed, waving me off, "I've been single all my life and I'm honestly tired of it."

Here was one thing I figured out from the future – she did like someone. No, it wasn't Pat or at least I think it wasn't. But I could almost hear the restraint in her voice as I kept on asking her if there was a special somebody as the months flew by.

And I gathered it before I even introduced her to Pat so that was the reason why I saw no red flags.

I never got to find out who was the guy that she liked.

She had crushes, that was for sure. Even when we were younger, I had to pry that sort of information from her. As open as I was about my love life to her, she was incredibly secretive about hers.

"By the way, that's a cute whistle," she commented, pointing with the pinky of the hand that was holding her coffee mug, "It's the first time I've seen you wear one."

Because I was a hundred percent positive that I wasn't going to see Leon today, I wore it out of my shirt. I've worn it every single day, only taking it off when I go take a shower or go to sleep.