Chapter 8

From now on there will be some POV's of Wade (who you've just met) the name will let you know who's POV it is

Wade

I watched as she looks apologetically towards me, her jaw tight. I look into her beautiful golden eyes, I felt they should glint more than they are, you know when you look at someone and they're eyes are dull? Despite her beauty... I could see that. Maybe I can put that glint there. I was surprised she felt the need to defend herself, the Princess always has guards around her... come to think of it I hadn't seen any. I'd have expected at least one. Her father must really trust us to take care of her.

I reach for her hand, and place my hand on hers reassuringly, "Of course a princess must be able to defend herself, but I would hope you would never need to, you wouldn't with me" I look into those fascinating eyes of hers.

Dad told me the princess was coming today to see if she could find a suitor in our packs future alpha... me. Now she's here I hope she chooses me, but she could have anyone. And I mean anyone. Nonetheless, she said 'mine' to me. I still have to win her though, just because her wolf wants me, doesn't mean she wants me, your wolf doesn't dictate to you who you're with, I've known plenty reject their mates for others.

She breaks her hand from mine to take another sip of coffee. She looks like she hadn't had coffee in months, but I know that can't be true, she must really love coffee. "How's your eldest brother getting on, I suppose he'll be training to take over your father soon?" I ask politely but she seems to blanch at my question, a sorrow enters her eyes. Did I say something wrong? But, before I can apologise she answers "My brother is well, he's been training for... for six months, I think father wants him to take over when he turns 27". She avoids my my eye taking another sip

"And, you have a younger brother? How's he?" She sucked in a sharp breath nearly choking,

"He's fine" she says in a strangled voice. I didn't realise her relationship with her brothers were strained, she doesn't seem to want to discuss them so I change the subject

"So where have you been to to find a suitor so far?" I smile as I take a sip from my own cup.

She stands suddenly turning her back to me, well now you've done it, she's definitely not going to pick you when you upset her... not that I know how that question would upset her...

'Idiot' my wolf shouts in my head.

I hear her sniff and I stand "Pri... Princess I'm so sorry if I offended you, please forgive me" she takes a breath "No" she turns back to face me "I apologise, that was rude, you asked a reasonable question. You are the first I have come to" my brows furrow, that's not what dad said... but she has no reason to lie, unless the previous suitors were so terrible she's decided to scrub them from her mind. I'd understand that if she'd been to somewhere like Huntermoon pack... their soon to be Alpha's a right dick.

We continue to chat, I allow her to ask the questions so I don't upset her further. A few silences happen. But, they're comfortable, she seems happy in silence, so I'm happy to oblige. I'll do anything for her.

"I hope you don't mind, this evening dad's throwing a dinner for you, I'm not sure if he mentioned it to you" she gives me a small smile

"No, that sounds wonderful. Oh..." her face falls "I didn't bring formal dinner attire" a panic seems to enter her. She could arrive in a bin bag and no-one would comment.

"What you're wearing is perfect" I say trying to soothe her, she doesn't need to worry. I thought the princess didn't worry about anything, let alone what people thought of her, she never used to. It frustrated me a little with how timid she was, she seems scared but I can't place it. I can hear her heart, it's beating at least 100bpm. What the hell is she scared of? Me?

It should be me terrified, if I do anything to hurt her, her father would have my throat. He protects his little girl above everything else. "Would you like to see where you're staying while you're here?" I ask, I think she's had enough, she seems tired. "Oh, yes please" she stands so I lead her from the room towards the stairs.

"The first floor is where we live, upstairs is for pack members that work in the house. Naturally this floor have the suites, while upstairs have many more bedrooms" I'm trying to impress her with our house, not that it compares though. I was never allowed inside the palace, mum forbade me, said I'd disturb dad and break things... probably true. I just remember how grand it was from the outside, the white brick, the towers that reach high into the air, I never could comprehend its size.

I remember her though, she wouldn't never come down from that damn obstacle course and I couldn't keep up with her. She was too fast, even though I was older and stronger. Despite being banned from the palace I'd sneak away just to look at her. Is that creepy? I was nine.

Ah well, make up for it now, get to know her and hopefully woo her. But how the hell do you woo a princess? I can't give her more than she already has. I can't buy her.

'You have to charm her'

Oh my lovely wolf, ever the bringer of bad news.

I stop at a door and open it "Here, this is where you'll stay, I'll have someone bring up your bags"

"Thank you" she closes the door slowly and carefully. All I can do is stand there. I think of her long brown hair that when the light catches blonde streaks appear. Her delicate features with her stunning eyes. I could loose myself in those eyes, and her scent. That intoxicating coconut which seems to dance around her, she's beautiful.

I hear something, what was that? I listen more intently, there it was... was she... crying? Wow Wade, what a man, you've offended her that bad? I raise my fist to knock but decide better of it. If I was the reason for those tears she definitely didn't want to see me. I head back downstairs feeling dejected, she'll be gone by this evening if I can't gain her favour. Dad's waiting in the entrance hall. Of course he is.

"So is she yours?" he asks expectantly

"I don't know, I haven't asked. We were getting to know each other" I fold my arms trying to lift my shoulders again.

"Idiot! Ask her by the end of dinner" he stalks away from me. I roll my eyes, he's always been harsh and mean. I think it was when mum died, I don't really remember him before then. But he's been almost intolerable since his Beta died fighting rogues.  

Please vote, comment and share :)

What do you think of Wade?