Chapter 20

Wade

My anger disappears as rapidly as it came, what was she talking about? Tears stream down her face as she continues to beg, I don't understand. I move around the bed and kneel in front of her, she looks like she's in so much pain.

"I'll do anything, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry please... not my brother" she's not looking at me, her eyes squeezed shut. I'm not sure she even knows I'm in front of her "Adelaide, what are you saying? I'm not going to hurt your brother, you're talking nonsense" I try to keep my tone calm and soft, she just keeps apologising, I don't think she heard me.

"Adelaide!" I grasp her clutched hands in mine which makes her jump, her eyes snap open. She tries to back away from me but I keep her there, I need to understand why she's so scared. "Adelaide, darling. Please, tell me what's happened" she gulps up to me her body shaking violently. "I'm not going to hurt you, please tell me" her golden eyes wild she shakes her head her hair falling into her face

"I can't he'll kill him, he'll kill me" she whimpers

"Who?!" I grab her shoulders and shake her slightly.

"Samual" she says so quietly I barely heard her, but that was the name she said. Her eyes roll and she slumps in my grasp. I frown keeping her there for a moment before I stand and snake my arms under her knees and shoulders. I place her carefully in the bed and leave, locking the door behind me. If my father was behind her fear he wasn't getting to her.

I leave the house and make my way to a building on the other side of the village. I enter and make my way down the stone steps. The smell of blood, death and filth fills my nose. Its disgusting down here but I need to see what Adelaide is talking about, and which brother? I set my face in a scowl before I reach the bottom "I need to see Hunterson" I growl to one of the guards, Conner.

"Right away sir" he hurried down the corridor. He stopped at one of the doors "I can beat him for you sir, you don't need to dirty your hands" I scowl at him. That's what she was talking about.

I enter his small cell, a thin frail boy covered in chains. He doesn't look to me, I'm not even sure he's conscious. I can't remember his name, Christian? I look wildly around thinking. Dad was obviously behind this, how do I help them? What the hell do I do? Think, Wade, Think! Oh goddess I don't know. I hear movement behind me. Change of the guard time. I look to see... Trey

I wait until Conner's heavy footsteps disappear before I round on my friend "Trey! You knew!" he obviously hadn't seen me and his eyes flash in panic.

"How?... what?... Who?" he stammers to me

"I was about to mark Adelaide and she screamed, then rambled on about her brother and how she'd do anything! What's been going on!" I grab his shirt and slam him against the wall "Tell me!" I shake him.

"OK, OK, Alpha captured them and demanded that she... she be your mate. If she didn't he would hurt Christopher. I've been helping her, as much as I can"

"Why? Why did you not tell me! Why have you been helping her!" I punch the wall next to his head, I'm furious at the implication, furious he kept it from me.

"I love her!" a tear slides down my friend's cheek.

Adelaide

I sit up, the room's empty. I should have just let him mark me, I was stupid. He's gone to tell his father and they've both gone to Christopher. Oh my little brother I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. I bring my knees to my chest and hug them. I don't know what else to do.

When they kill him there's nothing left for me, I'll kill them. I'll take as many down as I can. Feeling motivated I change my blouse into one of Wade's t-shirts, the blouse is much too restrictive. I tie the t-shirt in a knot on my waist so it can't get in the way. And wait.

4 hours go by and no-one approaches Wade's room. I try the door but he's locked me in. I try the window but that's also locked. But I have no reason to try and escape... yet. Another two hours go by.

I hear growls, then 10 minutes later

I hear footsteps.

Please vote, comment and share!

Let me know what you think. 

Who's footsteps is she hearing? 

What did Wade do?